Car started running hot all of a sudden, 4 days ago. Check engine light came on with code for "improper coolant flow". Replaced t-stat/housing with GM part from dealer. Warmed car up then drove approx 5 miles temp held steady. Parked car for approx 2hrs then left to go to town, immediately started running hot-cold-hot and has no power at take-off. RPMs climb but car barely goes, got worse the more I drove. Feels like converter stopped up but plenty of exhaust coming out. Boiling coolant within 2 miles from home.
You may have damaged the motor from overheating. Have a leak down test performed to verify a head gasket.
August, 9, 2012 AT 12:59 AM
Its possible that gasket blew and caused overheating but I don't think it was hot enough to blow gasket in that order. Check engine light came on approx 30 minutes before it started overheating and it was parked as soon as it started. Oil and coolant are both clean. I just got a recall notice for plugs and wires due to power loss issues but this is different. May be seperate issues but my primary concern is overheating. Possibly WP?
August, 9, 2012 AT 1:08 AM
As I said, start with a leak down test to verify head gasket. Useless to go forward if the head gasket is blown.
August, 9, 2012 AT 3:13 AM
I'VE SEEN 3 RECENT SITUATIONS LIKE THIS
YOU GOT WATER PUMPS WITH METAL IMPELLERS
YOU GOT 'EM WITH PLASTIC IMPELLERS TOO
LOOKS LIKE YA MIGHT HAVE A METAL ONE---THEN YOU REPLACE IT WITH A PLASTIC ONE.....OR VISA-VERSA!!!
IF YOU CAN GET A METAL ONE.....MY OPINION, THAT'S SHOULD BE THE STANDARD!
I LOOKED UP YOURS (I THINK) VERIFY IT TOP AND LEFT OF PIC, IN THIS LINK