WOULD THE WRONG OIL CAUSE THIS PROBLEM WITHIN A WEEK

• Downing61
  • 2009 HYUNDAI TUSCON

A week after we had our hyundia tuscan serviced (not at a hyundia garage) it developed a serious knocking so we took it to the local hyundai garage as it is 3 years old and still under waranty. They told us that the oil used is not a recommened oil by hyundia and I have had to prove that the previous services the correct oil was used this I have done as I had the receipts. After checks they have said it is the piston shells and my question is even if it was not a recommended oil would this cause a problem to the piston shells in a week?

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 6:15 PM

• Docfixit

What are piston shells?

Monday, July 16th, 2012 AT 6:20 PM
  • Downing61

Apparantly piston shells are at the bottom of the piston so they would be lubricated by the oil.

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 6:45 AM
  • Wrenchtech

I would be shocked if oil damaged a piston in any way. There are other parts that are much more lubrication dependent such as the bearings that would fail long before a piston would. Sounds like they are just looking for a way out of warranty coverage.

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 10:08 AM
  • Docfixit

I agree rod bearing failure because of oil they are looking for way off hook

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 12:07 PM
  • Downing61

Thanks guys after talking to them today they tell me its big ends that has gone, the first service they used carlube oil XAL050 15w40 which is semi sythetic the second they used carlube XGf055 5w40 fully sythetic and the last one just says pro m100 5w40 and I am told these are not the right oils and now I face a bill of over 3000 the previous garages tell me it is recommended oil but hyundai say not I am very confused

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 5:43 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Here are the engine oil requirements for that vehicle

Engine Oil

API Classification SJ or SL
ILSAC Classification GF-3 or above

Viscosity:
All temperatures SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30
Above 0 F (-18 C) 10W-30

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 6:00 PM