Fuel gauge problems

PEAKKR
  • 2009 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
The fuel gauge will only go to half full, even with the tank full. How to correct this?
Sunday, March 29th, 2015 AT 10:46 AM

ED-WEEZY21
I am a certified Hyundai technician and we see that problem all the time. Typically the fuel gauge problem is along side a check engine light but not always. This is a common problem for the fuel senders to go bad on these. These gas tanks have one fuel sender on the fuel pump under the driver rear seat and it has a fuel sender on a sending unit under the passenger rear seat. Replace both along with new locking rings and gaskets and be sure to install the fuel senders exactly how they came off. Disconnect the battery whenever working with fuel. Here is a guide and diagrams (below) to help you see what you are in for when doing the job. Also in rare cases I have seen the gauge itself go bad

Your car has a trap door so you don't need to remove the fuel tank.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
+21
Saturday, April 4th, 2015 AT 6:15 AM
LISA HARRISON
  • 2003 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
  • AWD
Six cylinder all wheel drive automatic 92,000 miles.

Sometimes when the car is idling, the fuel gauge will all of the sudden drop down to empty and the fuel light will come on. It happens when I have on the air conditioner. When I turn off the air and start to drive and it will eventually go back to normal. This has happened three times in the past week.
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 9:03 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Hi Lisa,

I would suspect a bad ground. Check those behind the headlight tightened onto the inside of the fender.
MORASSVINE
  • 2007 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
My fuel gauge started to show empty when I just topped it off. Now it is all over the place. I might show full when I just filled it but when I turn it off and get back in to restart it it shows empty or maybe half full. You never know what it is going to read. Any ideas?
+4
KHLOW2008
Check the fuel sending unit in fuel tank, It most probably has poor contacts.

It is internal of fuel tank.
If you remove the second row of seat and lift the carpet, you would be able to access the service hole.
+7
MORASSVINE
Thanks, I have removed the seat and found the access hole, but how do you remove the black metal plate to get at the sending unit?
-1
KHLOW2008
You need a special tool to turn it like a bottle cap to loosen and remove, after disconnecting the hoses and wire connector. Remember to release the fuel pressure first. Unplug the fuel pump relay and crank engine until it fails to start.