IS THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT SUPPOSED TO BE STEAM ...

2008 Toyota Prius

shopspeak

December, 20, 2012 AT 4:59 AM

Is the engine compartment supposed to be steam cleaned on a Prius hybrid car? My dealership decided, on their own, to steam clean the engine compartment and when I drove off, half way down the block, problem lights went on and it would hardly drive. I returned it immediately to the dealership. I am concerned that they damaged the electrical and computer components. A friend who is a mechanic told me that in his shop, they NEVER steam clean the engine compartment on a hybrid car for that reason. Your advice would help me greatly.

I went in for an oil change, inspection and brake change.

Thank you,

Karen --

merlin2021

December, 20, 2012 AT 8:49 AM

Steaming ANY computer controlled car can lead to problems, water gets into electrical connectors, Makes them dry em all out by seperating the connectors and blow them out with compressed air.

shopspeak

December, 20, 2012 AT 6:45 PM

Can damage come to the actual parts such as the computer and other components or is it just that the water getting into the connections damages the connections only?

merlin2021

December, 20, 2012 AT 10:23 PM

That depends on of the pcm got wet? I avoid getting water in the alternator and some cars have the pcm under the hood but they are pretty water tight.

Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement