DOOR LOCKS SEEM TO LOSE POWER WHEN EITHER PUSHING INTERIOR OR KEYPAD LOCK/UNLOCK BUTTONS

• jessesampson
  • 2008 Suzuki XL7

Locks will not fully open or close when using either interior buttons or keypad buttons. It is not localized to 1 door. It happens to all 4 doors/locks. Sometimes the locks will work fine for about 2-3 presses of the lock/unlock button. Other times they do not budge at all.

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 7:52 PM

• KHLow2008

Check the central locking control unit ground connections.

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 8:07 PM
  • jessesampson

Where do u think that would be. Roughly

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 9:58 PM
  • KHLow2008

At lower center of dash, on instrument panle block.

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 10:08 PM
  • jessesampson

So ur sayign remove dash and check back there? Behind temperature controls, or behind steering wheel area?

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 10:10 PM
  • KHLow2008

Near fuse block.

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 10:19 PM
  • jessesampson

I tried looking around without removing to much. Cant really see alot. But I did try messing with the keypad and interior lock/unlock button. 1) I have to hit unlock twice on keypad to unlock all doors, it seems that after unlocking and locking multiple times I can tell that as soon as I hit unlock the first time of round 3-4 of unlocking door that the drivers door lock only half opens. Then pressing a second time all the other doors only half unlock. 2) with the interior I presses lock/unlock and after about 3-4 all simultaneously inly unlock halfway. Occasionally I have to press unlock multiple times to get it to register I hit it. I can only compare it to a low battery where the lights dim, they have minimal power and arent functioning fully.

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 10:37 PM
  • KHLow2008

You are correct, symptoms indicates a low battery similarity apart from a poor ground.

The central locking system is linked to the body control module and repeated locking/unlocking can cause resistance buildup resulting in poor actuator operations.

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 10:52 PM
  • jessesampson

Will it give out completely or will it maintain the weakening. Cause I dont really wanna rip out my lower console and then still not fix it and have to take it to a shop anyways. If it will maintain and not completely stop then I leave it be and get it to a shop at a later time. But if it going to fail shortly I might as well just take to a shop cause I been scouring the internet for a picture or guide for fixing it/ understanding what I looking for.

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 10:56 PM
  • KHLow2008

It will definitely get worse. This is a rare symptom and most likely you are not going to get any additional information. If you have a scan tool it might help you to track down the cause.

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 AT 11:33 PM
  • jessesampson

Scan tool? As in a code reader for the port under the steering wheel? And would this be covered by the Suzuki warranty?

Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 12:10 AM