Is a catalytic converter a common repair in the G6?

IOWAG6
  • 2008 PONTIAC G6
Manifold heat shield bolt broke off, manifold flange bolt broke off, converter brace bolt broke off, two manifold studs broke off, all was repaired under warranty, but will we continue to have problems, are we driving the car too hard, is this just a defect, or does this happen a lot? Does certain type of fuel burn too hot? E-85 for example?
Friday, December 30th, 2011 AT 2:50 AM

My guess is one part failed, then other rusty bolts were broken by the mechanic while trying to get them apart. That is very common and typical on any car, but in my experience from working at a very nice Chrysler dealership, bolts still can be removed easily on a four-year-old car. Chrysler covers things under warranty if they break in the process of performing other warranty repairs. GM is very customer-unfriendly, but I suspect they have the same policy. That is why you weren't asked to pay for any additional parts.

As far as quality of the product, GM vehicles aren't any better or worse than other brands, at least in most respects. Doesn't sound like you had anything out of the ordinary occur and there's no reason to worry. You can expect a lot of generator failures and expensive trips to the dealer to have computers repaired, but that too can happen with other cars.
Friday, December 30th, 2011 AT 3:03 AM

Sponsored links