AC STOPPED WORKING, ENGINE LIGHT ON, COOLANT SPILL

2008 Mazda 3

doymel

August, 22, 2011 AT 3:54 PM

While driving, my AC suddenly stopped working. About a half mile later my check engine light came on, and the thermostat dropped all the way down to the "cool". There was a burning smell. I had the car towed home, and the bed of the tow truck had anti-freeze all over it from my car. I'm concerned that this is linked to a major repair done a month ago as the result of flood damaged, which included a used engine replacement, manifold gasket, intake plenum gasket, rear main seal, oil filter, spark plugs. Any idea what may be wrong with it, and if it can possibly be related to the previous repair?

Wrenchtech

August, 22, 2011 AT 4:55 PM

You had a major coolant leak occur. That in itself is not a big deal but driving it after that happened will take out the engine real fast. You will have to repair the leak first and see if any internal damage was done later.

doymel

August, 22, 2011 AT 5:48 PM

Thanks for the input, much appreciated! Is it in any way tied to the repair that was previously done re-engine replacement, or are they two totally seperate things?

Wrenchtech

August, 22, 2011 AT 5:56 PM

Of course it could be related. He had to install all the coolant hoses to change the engine. You have to see what actually happened. If a hose just burst, that wouldn't be his fault

doymel

August, 22, 2011 AT 5:58 PM

Ok, thanks!