METAL DRAGGING/NAILS ON CHALKBOARD NOISE

2008 Kia Sportage

muppets

May, 11, 2012 AT 2:51 AM

I drive a 2008 Kia Sportage. After driving for about ten minutes I noticed a noise that sounded like something was being dragged along the ground under the car. It stopped when I braked and does not happen when I turn corners. I checked under the vehicle and nothing appears to be dragging. After having a break the car did not make the noise again until is had driven for about 5 minutes, again the metal dragging noise, noise goes away when braking and turning. Car was in for service last month and was told brakes looked fine, what could this be?

May, 11, 2012 AT 2:54 AM

I would have the brakes checked again. It sounds like something is hitting like hardware or backing plates

muppets

May, 11, 2012 AT 11:27 PM

Thanks. I took it in, said rear calipers were seized so rear pads were jamming up in clips, overheating and making the noise. They suggested new rear pads (still at 40 percent) and caliper servicing

May, 11, 2012 AT 11:38 PM

You mean the pins for the calipers? It is common for that but dont think it will explain the noise you described.

muppets

May, 13, 2012 AT 2:55 AM

I don't know what they mean, I guess I just have to trust what they say and pay for the new pads and caliper servicing?
Thanks again for your answers.

May, 13, 2012 AT 2:46 PM

How did you make out?

muppets

May, 13, 2012 AT 9:24 PM

So, they replaced the rear brake pads, serviced the calipers and so far the noise seems to be gone. I really hope that's it. Thank you so much for your help! I think it's wonderful that you help people by answering their questions.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Replace Your Brake Caliper Like a Pro
Brake Flex Hose Replacement Guide