2008 Hyundai Elantra timing belt.

ROCKETMAN007
  • 2008 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
Is the timing belt and drive belt the same thing? Just now got my car back from the dealership to handle a power steering recall and they said that all Hyundais are supposed to get a new timing belt every 60,000 miles and so far they have no record of it ever being done. How does someone know when it is time to replace it? My car is at 85,000 miles and I don't know if I can afford to have it done. At the dealership they quoted $500. What are the consequences of waiting until it breaks to put in a new one? As of right now I haven't noticed any roughness in driving the car.
Tuesday, May 5th, 2015 AT 5:27 PM

MANY NOW-A-DAYS VEHICLES USE A TIMING BELT

MOST VEHICLES OF YESTERYEAR (AND STILL SOME) USED TIMING CHAINS

ONES WITH A CHAIN, WILL CREATE A SLAPPING OR RUBBING SOUND AND IF ONE IS ATTENTIVE, HE WOULD REPLACE THE CHAIN AND TIMING GEARS, BEFORE IT BREAKS OR THE CHAIN JUMPS TEETH ON THE GEARS

CHAINS SEEMED TO LAST LONGER

WITH A TIMING BELT, THEY MAY START COMING APART OR SIMPLY BREAK IN HALF (JUST LIKE A FAN BELT MIGHT DO)

CHAIN OR BELT.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.DEPENDING ON THE ENGINE DESIGN, WE HAVE WHAT WE CALL A

"NON-INTERFERENCE ENGINE"
WHEN THE CHAIN OR BELT BREAKS, THE VALVE TRAIN (VALVES) WILL NOT HIT THE PISTONS, NO MATTER WHAT POSITION THE CRANKSHAFT OR CAMSHAFT MOVES INTO OR STOPS AT. IN OTHER WORDS A NEW CHAIN OR BELT AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO!

"INTERFERENCE ENGINE"
THE VALVES AND PISTONS TAKE UP THE SAME SPACES AT TIMES, THE TIMING BELT OR CHAIN SORTA HAS THE CRANKSHAFT (PISTON POSITIONS) TIMED OR SPACED APART FROM THE VALVE ACTIONS. THE PISTONS COME UP AND GO DOWN, THEN THE VALVES MOVE UP OR DOWN IN THE SAME SPACE THE PISTON FORMERLY WAS IN. AS LONG AS THE "VALVE TIMING" (NOT IGNITION TIMING) REMAINS IN SYNC WITH THE CRANK, ALL IS FINE!

WHEN THE BELT OF CHAIN BREAKS, USUALLY NO MATTER WHAT, THE VALVES STOP MOVING. SOME ARE UP, SOME ARE DOWN, THE PISTON(S), STILL IN MOTION, SMACK THE VALVES THAT ARE NOW IN THE WAY. THIS MAY RESULT IN VALVE/ HEAD/ PISTON/ WHOLE ENGINE DAMAGE. NOT A GOOD THING, WHEN A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS COULD HAVE PREVENTED IT. HENCE THE 60,000 MILE PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE SUGGESTION

SORRY

UNFORTUNATELY

YOUR ENGINE IS

AN

INTERFERENCE ENGINE

EVENTUALLY SOMETHING WILL GIVE

MAYBE A SECOND OPINION ON THE PRICE YOU GAVE? (SEEMED HIGH TO ME)

I HAVE A SUGGESTION TO FIND THE RIGHT SHOP. PLEASE READ MY LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1996-ford-explorer-xlt-4-door-recently-purchased

YOUR TURN

Tuesday, May 5th, 2015 AT 7:49 PM
ROCKETMAN007
I'll probably ask my normal mechanic what he'd charge. I trust him although he is semi retired and his shop I think is technically owned by the body shop next to him now. Should the belt really be so costly a part? I understand a lot needs to be removed and put back in to replace it but still.
Tuesday, May 5th, 2015 AT 8:41 PM
IF YOU NOTICED, I'M A JEEP CJ KINDA GUY

I STILL LIVE AND REPAIR MOSTLY CARBURETED KINDA STUFF, USUALLY JEEP CJs

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO TREATS PEOPLE RIGHT, LABOR WISE (WITHOUT PARTS) HE'LL INSTALL A TIMING BELT FOR BETWEEN $75 TO $150

I MIGHT COULD SEE $250, BUT TO ME, THAT'S HIGH!

$500? I'D HAVE THAT SAME SHATTERED LOOK THAT NED BEATTY HAD IN "DELIVERANCE"!

KEEP US POSTED ON PROGRESS (YOU DID READ MY LINK?)

Tuesday, May 5th, 2015 AT 8:58 PM
ROCKETMAN007
I asked my mechanic and he says it would be tough to find someone who will do it for less than $500 around here. He says it's very involved and I should do it at the dealership to make sure it is done correctly and that most mechanics don't do timing belts for the sake that it slows business down and makes it tougher to address other customers. I just don't want a poor job done on it as that I pay a lot and it still causes an engine failure.
+1
Wednesday, May 6th, 2015 AT 12:47 PM
ED-WEEZY21
Just to add to this one because I work at a Hyundai dealership. On these models, for some reason, the belts all dry rot really fast especially the AC belt always starts to crack after about 30,000 miles. Typically when we see the drive belts really worn or really cracked, we recommend the timing belt as well. We use our best judgement when we recommend it not strictly based on mileage but also the age of the car. I've replaced these timing belts on these same exact cars with only 17,000 miles strictly because the car sits around a lot and nature does not stop for anyone so the environment continues to eat away at the belts. These timing belts on these cars are, in my opinion, the easiest timing belts I've ever done on any car. I can finish the entire job without rushing through it and put back together properly in around 45 minutes. My dealership charges about $425 I believe because it's typically charged at 3 hours labor because an inexperienced technician can take that long. I do them all the time so it's second nature. These cars have 2 drive belts and a timing belt. If you're a loyal customer to the dealership, most of the time they will try to hell you out and give you some sort of a discount.
+1
Wednesday, May 6th, 2015 AT 5:18 PM
ROCKETMAN007
Well I've only gone there to buy the car and get a couple recalled parts installed so I don't know what counts as loyalty. 17,000 miles and the timing belt needed a change? That's only a little more than a year of driving. I Drive often which is part of the reason why I think I should do it soon. I was hoping if 60K miles is the norm I can have it changed once and be good for the rest of the car's life.
Wednesday, May 6th, 2015 AT 6:10 PM
ED-WEEZY21
Yes only 17,000 miles but the vehicle was 8 was old. Hyundai recommends every 4 years or 60,000 miles. It's worth spending the money now if you plan on keeping the car, otherwise you risk replacing engine components or the entire engine. And no I'm sorry but only going to the dealership to get free work done wouldn't exactly count as a loyal customer.
+1
Wednesday, May 6th, 2015 AT 6:20 PM
ROCKETMAN007
Could they install a timing belt designed for a different car as that it is higher quality and doesn't rot as quickly? Is there a good reference to the highest quality cars out there so I can start researching my next car now?
Friday, May 8th, 2015 AT 6:58 AM
ED-WEEZY21
No you can not install a timing belt designed for another car onto yours. Timing belts are vehicle specific. The amount of teeth they have, the tension of the belt, and the length of the belt. You can't go based on which vehicles timing belts last longer because it all depends on the manufacturer that makes the actual belts. A timing belt dry rotting or wearing has nothing to do with the vehicle itself. It's based on mileage, age, weather conditions. For example, if you live in the northeast, the timing belts wear faster because of constant climate change. If you live in like Florida, it's almost always a constant temperature which helps prolong the life of the timing belt. Northeast is considered severe weather conditions.
Friday, May 8th, 2015 AT 9:37 AM
WHAT METROPOLIS ARE YOU NEAR?

I'M SURE A LOT OF THE TECHS HERE WILL AGREE THAT THERE ARE SMALLER SHOPS THAT ARE MORE THAN QUALIFIED TO DO THIS TASK, THAT MIGHT BE LESS EXPENSIVE

QUITE A FEW AROUND HERE ARE OWNED BY FORMER DEALERSHIP TECHS

WE'RE NOT TRYING TO FREAK YOU OUT, ONLY HELP YOU IF WE CAN, THIS USER FRIENDLY, MODERN, OVER ENGINEERED STUFF WILL EAT YOU ALIVE WHEN IT'S FIXIN' TIME

IT WAS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU COULD NOT AFFORD TO PAY THE BIG BUCKS, HENCE MY LITTLE SHOP SUGGESTIONS

THEY JUST DON'T MAKE CARS LIKE THEY USED TO, MY LITTLE 1946 ARMY JEEP HAS NEITHER A TIMING CHAIN OR A TIMING BELT. IT'S SIMPLY ONE BIG GEAR MESHING WITH A SMALLER ONE

CHECK OUT THE 2nd PIC I FOUND, OF VALVE TIMING JUST LIKE MINE, AIN'T THAT THE COOLEST AND SIMPLEST WAY TO DO THIS? THIS IS 1940s ENGINEERING, STEPPING OUT ON A LIMB HERE, MY GUESS IS THAT NONE OF 'EM EVER JUMPED TIMING

+1
Friday, May 8th, 2015 AT 8:25 PM
ROCKETMAN007
I will see if they have payment options. I have the money in checking. It just takes a while to rehash even $500. I'm from around Buffalo, NY. Our year was extreme. Only maybe three weeks ago snow was still melting and it almost hit 90 degrees today. Any suggestions for a most reliable car with good gas milage and handling. I made my decision for my Elantra based on consumer reports magazine.
Saturday, May 9th, 2015 AT 5:54 PM
NOT BEING PREJUDICE OR NOTHIN', BUT AS YOU MAY HAVE HEARD OVER THE YEARS,

"JEEP WROTE THE BOOK ON FOUR WHEEL DRIVE"

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYTHING BUT A 4X4 TO ANYONE!

EVEN THOUGH I HAVE TWO OLDER "REAL JEEPS" (WHICH WILL PROBABLY LAST FOREVER), I SORTA HAVE NO NEED OR DESIRE FOR A NEWER, OVER ENGINEERED "REAL LOOKING JEEP" (WRANGLER) OR THEIR MODERN STATION WAGON (CHEROKEE).I DISCOVERED THE SIMPLICITY, LONGEVITY, AND THEY WILL NEVER STOP MAKING PARTS FOR 'EM. THESE AIN'T MACHINES, THEY ARE FAMILY MEMBERS, AND REAL JEEP PEOPLE REALLY LOVE THEIR JEEPS - IT'S WAY MORE THAN JUST A STATUS SYMBOL. ALL NON-JEEP PEOPLE ALWAYS HAVE "THAT STORY" AND THAT "YEARNING JEALOUSY" WHEN A JEEP IS DISCUSSED, YOURS OR ANOTHER

(I FEEL SURE YOU UNDERSTAND ALL OF THIS)

I DO HAVE FRIENDS THAT HAVE THEM AND THEY SEEM SATISFIED. I DON'T KEEP UP WITH WARRANTY SORTA STUFF, BUT MY PAL "BOB" SAYS HIS CHEROKEE HAS A LIFETIME POWER TRAIN OR DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY. YOU'LL HAVE TO CHECK INTO THIS STUFF

HERE AGAIN, WITH THE JEEP LINE UP, YOU MUST MAKE CHOICES

I'M DOWN HERE IN THE PROMISED LAND (SOUTH CAROLINA) I WENT AHEAD AND CALLED AN ADVANCE AUTO UP YONDER IN YANKEE LAND. I SPOKE TO THE COMMERCIAL PARTS MANAGER AND A PARTS DELIVERY/ COUNTER SALES FELLER ALSO (WHILE I WAITED FOR THE OTHER FELLER TO PICK UP)

WHEN I TOLD BOTH OF 'EM THAT I WAS HELPING A FRIEND, I WAS LOOKING FOR A GOOD/ KNOWLEDGEABLE/ QUALITY MINDED/ INEXPENSIVE MECHANIC - NOT A DEALERSHIP AND NOT A NATIONAL CHAIN STORE. SOMEWHERE THEY DELIVER PARTS TO, AND WOULD NOT THINK TWICE ABOUT SENDING THEIR MOTHER TO (OH YEAH! THIS IS MOTHER'S DAY TOO)

I ASKED FOR THREE RECOMMENDATIONS - BOTH GAVE ME ONLY TWO THAT WOULD FIT THE BILL. EVEN THOUGH NEITHER FELLER HAD SPOKEN TO EACH OTHER. THEY REALLY PRAISED THIS FIRST GUY! THE OTHER GUY WAS THE RUNNER UP. SEEMS THEY WERE UNABLE TO QUALIFY ANYONE ELSE TO MY SPECS

I'LL STOP HERE (I WON'T CALL 'EM FOR YOU)

SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY ABOUT DOIN' YOUR TIMING BELT

LET US KNOW THE DEAL

EC AUTO SHOP INC
954 Niagara St, Buffalo, NY 14213
(716) 882-0878

MR. FIX IT
1531 Niagara St, Buffalo, NY 14213
(716) 507-3212 or (716) 931-5168

+1
Sunday, May 10th, 2015 AT 1:21 PM