WHAT CAUSES SHAKING ABOVE 80 KM/H

2008 Ford Escape

zackbrown

September, 25, 2012 AT 10:34 PM

Hello, I have a 2008 4wd ford escape, it has started to vibrate and shake above 80 km/h. Anything below that speed it drives great, as soon as you hit 80 you can start to feel it and it gets worse as you increase the speed. I put on new tires, had them rebalanced then when that didn't work I put on an entirely new set of tires and had them rebalanced, exact same symptoms. It is not dependant on the vehicles RPM's or what gear the tranny is in as I can shift it into neutral or hammer the gas to get it to shift at 90 km/h and the shaking stays constant. Its not the tires, I dont' think its the engine (mounts etc) or tranny, any ideas?

saturntech9

September, 25, 2012 AT 10:41 PM

Have you checked the tie rods?Does it ever start shaking after hitting a bump?

zackbrown

September, 25, 2012 AT 10:53 PM

Sorry should have mentioned the car was safetied 3 weeks ago, anything included in a safety in Ontario should not be an issue. I believe tie rods are part of that

zackbrown

September, 25, 2012 AT 10:55 PM

Also no shaking at all when hitting bumps at any speed, it is a constant shake increasing with speeds above 80 km/h (sorry for the km Im canadian)

saturntech9

September, 25, 2012 AT 11:12 PM

When I did new york state inspections it didnt include tie rods or ball joints are you sure there included?Also I wouldnt depend on that and assume there good. People get in a hurry and over look things.

zackbrown

September, 25, 2012 AT 11:16 PM

Very true, I will have them looked over tomorrow. Tie rods and ball joints would cause an issue only over 80km/h? And not have any noises or issues when hitting bumps or turning?

saturntech9

September, 25, 2012 AT 11:35 PM

Not so much ball joints but tie rods keep the wheels from moving side to side. Most people don't even know they have bad tie rods.

cadieman

September, 25, 2012 AT 11:36 PM

It has 4wd or allwd?

saturntech9

September, 25, 2012 AT 11:39 PM

Also have the whole front end check and make sure there is no bent rims etc.

zackbrown

September, 25, 2012 AT 11:45 PM

No bent rims, had that checked, it is an all time 4WD, I believe it has 80% power going to the front wheels and 20% to the back until you need it (start slipping) then it will switch to 50/50

saturntech9

September, 25, 2012 AT 11:56 PM

If that's the case I would check the axles also.

Engine Mount Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Engine Torque Mount Replacement
Air Intake Boot Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Accord
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement