What causes shaking above 80 km/h

ZACKBROWN
  • 2008 FORD ESCAPE

Hello, I have a 2008 4wd ford escape, it has started to vibrate and shake above 80 km/h. Anything below that speed it drives great, as soon as you hit 80 you can start to feel it and it gets worse as you increase the speed. I put on new tires, had them rebalanced then when that didn't work I put on an entirely new set of tires and had them rebalanced, exact same symptoms. It is not dependant on the vehicles RPM's or what gear the tranny is in as I can shift it into neutral or hammer the gas to get it to shift at 90 km/h and the shaking stays constant. Its not the tires, I dont' think its the engine (mounts etc) or tranny, any ideas?

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 10:34 PM

SATURNTECH9

Have you checked the tie rods?Does it ever start shaking after hitting a bump?

+1
Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 10:41 PM
ZACKBROWN

Sorry should have mentioned the car was safetied 3 weeks ago, anything included in a safety in Ontario should not be an issue. I believe tie rods are part of that

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 10:53 PM
ZACKBROWN

Also no shaking at all when hitting bumps at any speed, it is a constant shake increasing with speeds above 80 km/h (sorry for the km Im canadian)

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 10:55 PM
SATURNTECH9

When I did new york state inspections it didnt include tie rods or ball joints are you sure there included?Also I wouldnt depend on that and assume there good. People get in a hurry and over look things.

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 11:12 PM
ZACKBROWN

Very true, I will have them looked over tomorrow. Tie rods and ball joints would cause an issue only over 80km/h? And not have any noises or issues when hitting bumps or turning?

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 11:16 PM
SATURNTECH9

Not so much ball joints but tie rods keep the wheels from moving side to side. Most people don't even know they have bad tie rods.

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 11:35 PM
CADIEMAN

It has 4wd or allwd?

-1
Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 11:36 PM
SATURNTECH9

Also have the whole front end check and make sure there is no bent rims etc.

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 11:39 PM
ZACKBROWN

No bent rims, had that checked, it is an all time 4WD, I believe it has 80% power going to the front wheels and 20% to the back until you need it (start slipping) then it will switch to 50/50

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 11:45 PM
SATURNTECH9

If that's the case I would check the axles also.

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 AT 11:56 PM
ZACKBROWN

Yea I'm not an expert, hence why I'm on this site, but I was thinking driveline - driveshaft (unbalanced or something), u joints, CV joints or axle, I'm going to have to take it in for a closer look by someone who knows what they are doing, thanks

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 AT 12:06 AM
SATURNTECH9

If its just a vibration in the vechile and not just in the front end it could be drive line.

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 AT 12:10 AM
ZACKBROWN

Yes its the entire vehicle, you can feel it in the steering wheel, the seat and the gas peddle, the whole SUV starts to shake. I have a few things in the back storage compartments and you can hear them banging around

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 AT 12:16 AM
SATURNTECH9

Better get it checked out right away before something else happens.

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 AT 12:20 AM
CADIEMAN

Have the rims checked for runout or rims with weights over 3oz. On any sides.

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 AT 12:21 AM
ZACKBROWN

Yes, I orginally thought tires and rims, its the one thing I have had checked thoroughly. I had it to the first tire shop who put new balanced tires onto my rims, still had the issue so I took it back to them and the rebalanced and checked everything, still had the issue so I took it to a different, well know, tire place who put on brand new rims and tires just to see if that was the issue and it had the exact same symptoms no matter what rims and tires were on the vehicle

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012 AT 12:29 AM