DONT KNOW IF ITS A WHEEL BEARING OR THE TRANSAXLE?

• ryan.mcgonigal
  • 2008 Dodge Caliber

There is a whirring noise coming from the front of my car. It gets louder as you go faster. There is no noise while car is not moving

Wednesday, April 4th, 2012 AT 4:32 PM

• djcl
  • 786 posts

Jack up the front of the car. Or place it on a lift. Run the car with the wheels off the ground and see if the noise is still there. If it is it most likely is a wheel bearing. Hou can spin the wheel by hand to and listen @ each wheel.

Wednesday, April 4th, 2012 AT 4:49 PM
  • ryan.mcgonigal

I raised the front end of the car off the ground like you said and the noise was no longer there

Wednesday, April 4th, 2012 AT 5:01 PM
  • djcl
  • 786 posts

How do the tires look are thay cupping run your hand over them and see how thay feel. You could also try rotating them and see if the nois has moved to the back. Some times the bearing won't make noise with no weight on them. Tru rotating first. Then lisin close to each hub bearing with the wheels spinning @ about 30 mph. Let me know what you find

Wednesday, April 4th, 2012 AT 5:19 PM