Uplander trans issue

EDSEWARD
  • 2008 CHEVROLET UPLANDER
2008 Chevy Uplander 100000 miles.
Replaced trans in 2010 about 15 months ago. Mechanic replaced with used trans again in May 2011. Trans failed after 2 months. This time 1st trans mechanic got had to be sent back, sending another. Supplier refuses to help out on labor/install cost. Mechanic is not happy because they know we are not keen to pay for all this labor after just paying them a couple months ago.
Any advice on how to make this work between Supplier-Mechanic-Customer (us)?
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 8:21 PM

FACTORYJACK
Who's decision was it to get the used transmission in the first place? A lot of the time, the salvage yard will give a small warranty, and that is more than likely for the part alone. They have no knowing of the condition of that part, other than it came from a wreck and may have low miles on it. That and, if they agreed to pay for replacement charges, there would have to be some way that they could get confidence in the person doing the repair. By that, what I am trying to say is this. For instance, the shop gave you the option to go used to keep cost down, and you agreed on the 'good' used part. The reason that you needed a transmission was a catastrophic failure, with that debris was distributed through the system. The mechanic failed to adequately flush the oil cooler of that debris. The 'good' used transmission has now failed, potentially from debris that made it's way from the cooler into the replacement transmission. If you were the salvage yard that sold the transmission, would you feel obligated to pay for labor, knowing that that is a variable? In my experience, used parts are sold at your(or the shops) risk. Now if you were sold a rebuilt transmission from a rebuilder, for them to honor their warranty, there are specific guidelines. In the cases that I have dealt with, I have had to replace the radiator(has the trans cooler in it), and/or the auxiliary cooler, replace fittings if they had a check valve in them, and so on. This was all shown on the original invoice, so if there was a warranty claim to be considered, all of the neccesary documentation was in print. Also in most cases, if they do pay labor, it is at a very low rate, like the supplier would only make up $25.00 of the shops rate of $100 per hour. Unless you the consumer specified that you wanted a used part, it should be between the shop and the supplier. The shops warranty period ought to come into play, you should not have to pay anything, unless of course there is fine print somewhere on the repair order that you signed.
Saturday, July 16th, 2011 AT 2:30 AM