BAD TIRES IN

2008 BMW Z4

ceolukas

November, 15, 2010 AT 6:52 PM

Why would the tires of a 2008 Z4 need to be replaced when the car is under 20,000 miles and the average speed is probably 55mph? The tires are obviously in bad shape: the rubber is thin and one tire keeps losing pressure. The implication is that I drive the car really hard, but I really don't! My average commute is in the city where speed limit is 45 at most, and it is about 5 miles one way. I'd like to know if this is a common problem, if it really is my fault or if this is something BMW should pay for. Thank you!

Jacobandnickolas

November, 15, 2010 AT 7:41 PM

Honestly, most likely, it isn't your fault. Stop and go driving does wear tires faster than a continuious highway speed. Also, keep in mind, if the tires are run when they are low on pressure, the outsides of them will wear faster. If over inflated, the center will wear faster.

I would recommend having the alignment checked, and maybe getting a good all season tire. The high performance tires have a much softer rubber compound and will wear faster.

Let me know if you have other questions.

ceolukas

November, 15, 2010 AT 8:27 PM

Thank you. These are run-flat tires, so I guess I can only get that type. When the low pressure light comes on I usually add air, but I have driven the car for a couple of days on occasion before fixing the problem. I appreciate the insight. Thank you.

Safely Changing Your Spare Tire
Replace Tie Rod End
Upper Control Arm Replacement