Electrical failure

NMONTGOMERY
  • 2007 TOYOTA CAMRY
I have a 2007 Camry. I came out and found the battery had died. Looked like I had left the lights on but I'm not sure. In any case, I replaced the battery and still won't start. The car has a push button starter; the light goes from amber to green when I press the brake pedal but still won't start. The dealer said to replace the remote battery-still doesn't work. The remote does nothing-doors won't lock or unlock. Lights do turn on and the GPS system screen lights. Battery light and engine service lights on. Car is otherwise dead!
Monday, December 13th, 2010 AT 11:46 PM

You sure its not coming from the security system? SES On

Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis, finding out what's going on.
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 2:26 AM
NMONTGOMERY
This is a follow up to my earlier question and your answer. I did all that you suggested andchecked all the fuses and they are fine. I did notice that all the electronics (lights, sun roof, locks, seats, radio, etc.) Are on in the car when the battery is connected. Even the starter button light turns green when the pedal is depressed. There's no way ot turn them off except to disconnect the battery. The remote has a new battery but does not operate anything in the car.
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 12:15 AM
Have the ignition switch checked and tested-
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 12:21 AM
NMONTGOMERY
That might explain why it won't start but why can't I turn off things like the power windows, door locks, seats, etc. Except by disconnecting the battery?
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 12:30 AM
Could be a relay that sticking causing these problems-start removing the relays one by one and see what happens
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 12:41 AM
NMONTGOMERY
Pulled all the relays under the hood. Related component shut off but all other electric stayed on. I am baffeled. The only way I can stop all from working is to disconnect the battery. I can even shift the car into any gear with the pedal depressed. Car seems to think it's running but the starter will not engage.
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 11:01 PM
You got some serious problems here -you need to bring it in
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 11:50 PM
NMONTGOMERY
It's out of warranty so I'm concerned about surrendering my wallet to the dealer. Suggestions?
Monday, December 20th, 2010 AT 3:19 PM
Go to a reputable independent shop and have them diagnose it-you have a serious electrical problem and I don't think I'll be much help here w/o the vehicle-Sorry
Thursday, January 13th, 2011 AT 1:35 AM