TIE ROD END REPLACEMENT COSTS

2007 Nissan Murano

JohnB52

February, 14, 2012 AT 8:16 PM

I own a 2007 Nissan Murano with 68,000 miles on it. My mechanic (a Nissan new car dealer in the Madison, WI area) says I need to replace my left front tie rod and my left front rocker arm/ball joint due to excessive play in each of them. The concern is that if unrepaired damage to the tire would result. I was quoted a price for the tie rod of $130 and for the rocker arm/ball joint of $470. I don't believe this included the related labor to install. Is this reasonable to be needed to be done at this mileage and is the cost what you would expect?

hmac300

February, 14, 2012 AT 9:15 PM

I think what you are talking about is a ball joint and tie rod end. Prices vary around the u.S. Best thing to do is check around. Ask if the $70 price includes alignment and labor. It does sound maybe a tad high, alot of Tire stores and independent garges do this work for consideably lower prices. And yes it will do damage to the tires-menaing both in front due to the loose parts causing alingment problems and wearing the tires out as well as whenyou hit a bump the ar will move one way or another. Try to have the replacement parts made with grease fittig so you can get this done everytime you change oiland filter. MOOG is a great name in front end parts and they usually have the grease fitting in them, so they take longer to wear out. Potholes and large pieces of broken cocncrete take their toll on front end parts so your only option is to get it greased. But getthis fixed soon as you don't want to wear the tires which by the way shold be rotated every 7,000 or so miles.

hmac300

February, 14, 2012 AT 9:16 PM

I forgot to send the pics so you know what they are, they are designated by red arrows.

JohnB52

February, 14, 2012 AT 10:05 PM

Thank you very much. I subsequently found out that the prices I gave you included labor. So, between the two items, the total cost, including labor, was about $600 plus tax. Another $100 for alignment. The work is done. I'm not sure I got the kind with grease fittings or not. I'm guessing they just used similar parts as the originals, which didn't have grease fittings. Hopefully these will last me at least another 68,000 miles so I will have a few years before I have to worry about this cost again.

Replace Tie Rod End
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX