CLUTCH WENT OUT ON MERCEDES WITH ONLY 60,000 MILES ON IT. IS THAT COMMON?

2007 Mercedes Benz C230

lumenstar

April, 17, 2012 AT 11:41 PM

I bought my car 1 1/2 years ago at the largest Mercedes dealership in the world. I only had a one year warranty and didn't renew it (my bad). The car started hopping and lunging when it reached about 25 MPH and wouldn't shift up after that. The car was Platinum Certified, which means it was supposed to be up to factory standards when I bought it. I've only put about 1,100 miles on it and have had it serviced at Mercedes regularly. Do I have a lemon?

Clutch Problems

Clutch Help!

merlin2021

April, 18, 2012 AT 12:23 AM

It could be the person bfore you either drove it hard, or easnt to good with a stick shift.

lumenstar

April, 18, 2012 AT 12:49 AM

Thanks for your reply. But, it doesn't have a stick shift. It's an automatic.

merlin2021

April, 18, 2012 AT 5:15 AM

I dont know why I thought that, yes 60,000 is unusual to lose an automatic, even if it wasnt serviced on schedule. I would talk to the owner of the dealership.

lumenstar

April, 18, 2012 AT 5:18 AM

Thank you! I intend to do that tomorrow. : )

mhpautos

April, 21, 2012 AT 12:17 AM

Just to add to the good advice that Merlin has offered. Do you know if this car was flood affected at all in its life, these transmissions are really very strong, about the only thing that kills them prematurely is abuse, water in oil and wrong oil used.

lumenstar

April, 21, 2012 AT 2:29 AM

If it was in a flood, there's no record of it. I'm trading it in for a newer model tomorrow with the same payment and no money down, so the dealership is honoring their word and giving me a good deal. They are in agreement that it shouldn't have happened. Thanks for everyone's support. Being a single woman is a disadvantage when dealing with cars sometimes. It took two weeks to get this resolved!

merlin2021

April, 21, 2012 AT 2:33 AM

Glad it worked out for the best

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions