BATTERY LIGHT!

KMASS24
  • 2007 JEEP COMPASS
Hello all! Today I was driving in a rainstorm, and suddenly, randomly, the battery light came on. I was worried, but ignored my feelings and continued to drive. All of the sudden, the ABS light came on, followed by the yellow EBS light at the bottom, followed by the swerving car light, followed by the airbag light, and then the red BRAKE light to the right of the dash. That was when the car died, right in the middle of traffic. I had the alternator replaced a year ago, along with all the pulleys, and the belt. The mechanic said I should be good for another 100,000 miles with all those brand new parts. When the tow truck arrived, I had him take me to Advance Autoparts, and they said the battery was dead. I bought a brand new battery, and drove off. Not 2 miles down the road, the battery light came on AGAIN! I am terrified to drive in this car. What else could the problem possibly be? A fuse? Bad connection? I really don't want to take my car in and hear, "alternator" from some dumb idiot trying to take my $$. Please let me know what else to check. Thank you in advance!
Thursday, August 27th, 2015 AT 2:25 PM

MHPAUTOS
You do need to test alternator output voltage, do you have a multi meter?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-alternator
-1
Thursday, August 27th, 2015 AT 2:44 PM
MZCUPIICAKE
  • 2007 JEEP COMPASS
Bought a 2007 Jeep Compass used 3 wks ago, So far after 2 days engine light came on, dealer replaced catalytic converter. I get it back 5 days later I hear crackling noises. Upper and lower pulleys were replaced. 2 days later car still runs funny, I hear the crackling noise, took Car back, they replaced the alternator. Now the battery light stays comes on after I drive it 15 minutes, I shut car off, start it up light goes off, drive it another 10 battery light comes back on. Had the car checked out and battery tested. They found nothing?
Friday, March 29th, 2019 AT 3:24 PM (Merged)
This may be a tpim module which only a pro can test that auto parts can't with their scanners. There is a fusible link that may be burnt out or hanging by one wire. See pic. They are available at auto parts.
+2
MZCUPIICAKE
Thank you, I had to take it back to the shop. Now they changed the idler pulley, and now that I have it back it seems like when I hit 60 mph on the freeway it idles past 3 almost to 4, and sounds horrible. Wish I can give this car back.
Try cleaning throttle plate on both sides an d iac hole by throttle and check for a vacuum leak like a hose off, cracked etc.