Don't want to necro a post, but I had the same issue with my Santa Fe, an older model. I removed the screws from the tailgate panel, sprayed the magical WD40 on the actuator inside the door (the moving parts that weren't moving), sprayed behind the handle, inside the handle, and then used a pair of pliers to manually pull the cable and release the latch. Once I had it open, I liberally applied (aka sprayed the hack out of) WD4 to the latch, using a screwdriver to close the latch and pliers on the cable to release the latch. Once it was working smoothly, and more importantly the outside handle was releasing all the way (protruding more than 1/4" from the tailgate), I closed the door and opened it several times. Problem solved.
Monday, April 25th, 2016 AT 8:34 AM