HVAC Temp dial not working

AZNEVILLE
  • 2007 HUMMER H3

I have a 2007 Hummer H3, I5. The HVAC temp dial is not working properly. On full cold it works fine. Move it 1 click toward warm it goes full warm. I've replaced the left and right actuators that would affect air temp flow. During HVAC calibration both actuators move. When trying temp dial, only the left actuator moves and it goes the full 90 degrees. I've also replaced the HVAC control unit (entire unit with control dials). What else should I be reviewing?

Monday, July 4th, 2011 AT 5:43 PM

DOCFIXIT

Since you did the actuators have you tried to recalibrate it?

1. Ignition on engine off
2. Turn TEMP dial all way to right
3. Turn blower control all way to right
4. Turn mode selector all way to left
5. Simultaneously press and hold the A/C and defrost buttons until LED flashes. LED stops calibration complete

Let me know what happens

Monday, July 4th, 2011 AT 7:05 PM
AZNEVILLE

Yes, that is the calibration that I performed. I've had the same symptoms with actuators swapped between left and right, new actuators used and a new control unit in place. Both actuators work in calibration mode but not in regular use.

Monday, July 4th, 2011 AT 8:08 PM
DOCFIXIT

Have you tried having it scanned? Let me do some research you have replaced most possible components.

Scan could help Control head is the fix problem is none about and head does the fix. Have found one case where mode actuator was the fault.

Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 AT 2:59 PM
AZNEVILLE

Had it scanned - P0014 was the only stored code and that would likely be unrelated.

New symptom: last week the battery died. After I got it restarted the temp dial would only stay on cold unless moved all of the way to hot. Once moved all of the way to hot, the right actuator would move down incrementally to cold. Once it hit all the way cold, it would not move back up unless the dial was moved to full hot. During this time the left actuator did not move all at, unlike before. After a few tests back and forth the right actuator stopped moving at all.

I performed the HVAC calibration again and the original symptoms reappeared where only the left actuator was moving, and it would move the entire range to full hot when moving one click off cold.

Sunday, July 10th, 2011 AT 7:08 PM
ZIGGYMON

I have the EXACT same problem in my 2007 H3. Did you ever find the problem and solution?

I would really appreciate any kind of help you can provide on this issue. I've tried everything like you and am pulling my hair out trying to find the cause.

Ziggy

Tuesday, November 29th, 2011 AT 3:37 PM
AZNEVILLE

No, didn't get it fully fixed. Have replaced both actuators and the control unit. Dealer claimed it was actuators and replaced them (after I replaced the control unit) and it works better, but not properly and not consistently. Moving it one click off of full cold still produces nearly full heat though that's better than before when it went all of the way to full heat. It did work well for about a week or two.

Tuesday, November 29th, 2011 AT 5:55 PM
ZIGGYMON

Thanks for the update! I wonder if it could be the connectors not making full contact. I have read where this was a problem with these vehicles.

Tuesday, November 29th, 2011 AT 6:01 PM
FACTORYJACK

Since the system is manual, there is very little scan information that would apply. A/C request and A/C pressure sensor data is it. There are a couple bulletins, one of which matches the concern of goes full hot when one click off cold, I will include that in the following. It references replacing the control unit with a specific part number, was that the number that you used? It also states that the control head defaults when feedback voltage is out of range, although no specification on what the range is. Looking at the schematic and reading the description, I would suspect outside being the extreme of either 0 or 5 volts.

#PIT4704A: HVAC Temperature Goes Full Hot When One Click Off Full Cold - keywords A/C AC actuator air compressor door heat heater mode - (Feb 18, 2010)

Subject:

HVAC Temperature Goes Full Hot When One Click Off Full Cold

Models:

2006-2008 Hummer H3

This PI was superseded to update the Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIT4704.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may complain that the temperature will go to full hot when they turn the temperature control one click off of full cold. The control head is defaulting to Emergency Mode (this provides HOT air for safety reasons which would be available to clear the windshield in Defrost mode). This will happen if the feedback voltage for the air temperature actuators are out of range.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Replace the HVAC control head with part number 25920831.

Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 AT 5:28 AM
AZNEVILLE

I replaced it with a part from a 2009 truck. I will look into purchasing a whole new unit though I suspect there could be voltage issues as well. How to track down the cause of those issues? I don't know.

Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 AT 2:41 PM
ZIGGYMON

Thanks gstacey for your detailed information. I tried to find TSB #PIT4704A, but had no luck. Found the newer part though. Most of the successful posts I read indicated replacing the HVAC control module. I too tried a used module with no luck. Maybe all the older versions go out!

Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 AT 9:32 PM