Car shuts off when idling

DAVID CANO
  • 2 POSTS
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS

I have a 2007 ford Taurus se that shuts off when the car is in idle and the a.C. On. The car also will act like it wants to shut off while I am driving and the a.C. Running. I replaced the idle control valve but the problem continues

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 2:32 PM

ASEMASTER6371

Check the fuel pressure.

is it ok if the ac is off??

is the check engine light on??

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/stall-at-idle

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 4:02 PM
DAVID CANO
  • 2 POSTS

The cars ok when the a.C. Is off. The check engine light is off

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 4:12 PM
ASEMASTER6371

I would have the ac checked as the compressor may be locking up causing the issue

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 4:42 PM
SCOTTYH0465
  • 2 POSTS
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS

Our 2007 Ford Taurus has been stopping while driving. The anti theft light comes on and then the entire instrument panel goes blank. Car shuts off simultaneously and we have to put the car back in park to restart the car. Ford dealer cannot find anything wrong and refuses to look further unless they can have the problem replicated while driving it. HELP!

Sunday, January 21st, 2018 AT 12:35 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371

How often does it happen and does the check engine light come on?

SCOTTYH0465
  • 2 POSTS

Our instrument panel has a symbol for the engine that somes on when this happens. It has done this approximately 6 times in the past three weeks. Could it be that the key is going bad or not communicating with the ignition?

KORSE200120
  • 1 POST
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS

I have Ford Taurus 2007. Last few months, it would stall when I stop at red light or when I was slowing down and cruising. It would turn on without problem immediately. Also, I would feel a kick and everything would shut down for a split second when I was driving about 40 mph. It happened just couple times. My certified mechanic could not find the problem and ended up replacing some relay for $30 because it was a primary suspect. However, the problem did not disappear. I took car to the dealership, and they said I need to replace camshaft sensor and synchronizer as well as ignition coil (total of $800). My mechanic says that they are simply guessing and he truly doubts that both things are problems at the same time. He also says that their diagnosis makes no sense to him. I don't know what to do.

The cam sensor sits on top of the syncronizer and the syncronizer advances and retards your cam as it speeds up and down. They may be guessing but there are tests that they can do for the cam sensor and cam syncronizer. What it does is read where the exaust and intake cams are for best power and mileage. One thing youcan try is to clean the throttle plate and iac valvehole if you can see it with choke cleaner as it tends to gum up with oil. It may or may not cure it, as normally with a cam sensor or syncro your service engine light will go on.

STERLINGHYDEN
  • 2 POSTS
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS

My cars engine shut down yesterday during rush hour. Engine and batery lights went on. The radio and light were still on but none of my pedals worked. It was heavy traffic and was able to just stop, turn the car off and then back on. Something like this happened last year as well. I just replaced alternator and battery so as well as tightening up the terminals. Could is be low transmission fluid? If so how much should I put in? Bottles, Fl. Oz. Ect.

SATURNTECH9

Did the engine actual turn off by itself?Did the battery light come on while it was running?Do you have a multimeter?

ASEMASTER6371

I would have the fuel pressure checked. You may have a failing fuel pump.

STERLINGHYDEN
  • 2 POSTS

The battery and engine lights only turned on once the engine shut off. The radio and AC were still on, just no engine.

SATURNTECH9

Do you have any codes?Have you checked for codes yet?Have you had the alternator and battery tested?Also make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. When it dies will it restart right away?

+1
DESILU3
  • 6 POSTS
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS

2007 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 42300 miles

no rough idle, no surging, no codes appear on diagnostic test. It's like someone turns the key off. Thinking it may be oxygen sensors. All the grounds are tight, at one point the positive battery cable was loose but has been tightened. It's died three times since. I put in neutral and it always restarts. Warm or cold engine, driving up an incline or straight, turning corners, idleing at stop light, doesn't matter the situation.

Any ideas?

BMRFIXIT

Check for vacuum leaks
check vacuum hoses by the firewall
and under the intake manifold
if all checked OK
remove IAC clean and or replace

DESILU3
  • 6 POSTS

Thank you so very much! It was the IAC. My car has not died since it was replaced it in mid November.

JOURNY5
  • 2 POSTS
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS

2007 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 50,000 miles

I have a 2007 ford taurus. The car trys to stall and die taking off from a stop light. Runs rough and acts likes its running out of gas. The only code I have gotten from it was po191. I have already replaced the fuel filter and the fuel rail pressor sensor. Has this been a common problem on the taurus. This only happens once a day for a few minutes.

Check and test the EGR valve, MAF and TPS sensors-to include the fuel pressure

JOURNY5
  • 2 POSTS

The car will only act up when it is at normal operating temp. And the fuel is less than 1/4 tank. Not sure if that will help too.

Have you checked and tested the above mentoned as suggested? Were not gonna throw parts at it. You need to troubleshoot

-1