HOW DO I SEPARATE THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER FROM...

2007 Ford Focus

spidergear

How do I separate the brake master cylinder from the boost chamber? Brake pedal went right to floor, checked for line leakage & caliper & drum pistons & external master cylinder. No leaks! Added 500ml of fluid in total to brake reservoir & each time I tried the brakes the fluid would go somewhere but again no obvious leaks externally. Suspect brake master cylinder is leaking into the vacuum boost area. Disconnected the 4 brake lines & the reservoir line & the 2 mounting nuts from the master brake cylinder but can not remove the cylinder from the boost chamber? Is something else holding the cylinder onto the boost chamber?

caradiodoc

Nope, just those two nuts. The two pieces are likely rusted together. Tap lightly on the master cylinder to free it. There's a metal cap on the end too that could catch on the edge of the hole in the booster. Wiggle the master cylinder sideways a little once it's cracked loose.

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Front Pad-Rotor Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer