4w/d shifter

BTRUDELLE
  • 2007 DODGE RAM
I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 5.7 l hemi the floor shifter to engage my 4 w/d seems to have popped a clip what is that clip called and where can I get one the auto parts places cant find it and I cant find it online
Sunday, April 10th, 2011 AT 8:20 PM

Look for a similar truck in a salvage yard. Any chance you can post a photo of the linkage?
Sunday, April 10th, 2011 AT 9:11 PM
BTRUDELLE
Cant get a good photo but its what ever clip from the floor shift to the 4wd linkage just need a part name
Sunday, April 10th, 2011 AT 10:38 PM
Rats. It appears you're going to have to visit the dealer and look at the drawing on their computer. I can't tell from the pictures in the service manual but I can describe the two methods they used on the older trucks.

The really old ones used a simple cotter pin; well, at least they could. Those originally came with a wire pin that was formed into a circle to hold it in and to give you something to grab onto. As I recall, I think they called that a circlip. Cotter pins worked just fine. The newer style used plastic inserts that were snapped into a hole in the lever, then the big steel adjustable pin snapped into the insert and "magic held them together". The insert was damaged when you pried the linkage apart so you were supposed to cut the insert out and snap in a new one.

The first time I saw one of those inserts, I couldn't believe that would hold, so I cut it out, welded a bolt to the pin to make it longer, then inserted it into the hole on the lever and used a c-clip to hold it. That worked fine for many years.
Sunday, April 10th, 2011 AT 11:05 PM