DODGE NITRO SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS RUNNING WHILE TURNED OFF, NOW THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT IS ON?

• ciprimm23
  • 2007 Dodge Nitro

I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro 4x4. It's been running great with no issues. Today my wife came home for lunch, and after about an hour she gets ready to leave. She said that when she was walking to the Nitro it sounded as if the vehicle was running quietly. (Similar to a fan running) She went to use the remote to unlock the vehicle, however it wouldn't work. When she unlocked it with the key a buzzing type alarm sounded (I am thinking that isn't related, but caused by unlocking with the key instead of the remote) When she started the nitro, the Malfunction Indicator Light turned on and is staying on. If anyone can give me any ideas it'd be much appreciated.

(NOTE) When I use the 'System Warnings' function that displays on the dash, it doesn't show anything related to the MIL.

Thanks,
Caleb

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 5:49 PM

• ciprimm23

I checked for error codes by turning the ignition in an ON, Off, On, Off, On sequence. The code I received was U110C. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 7:06 PM
  • hmac300

A u110c is lost fuel level message and can be caused by a couple of things. It can be an open circuit, a pcm or a tpicm this should really be looked at by a pro.

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 7:21 PM
  • ciprimm23

I went to the part store and bought a new gas cap. The light stayed on. I went to another part store that will check codes for free. He checked for codes and got the following U110C.E140C.U0141.U140E.U110E.U1403.
When I left the part store, halfway home, the check engine light went out. Does this mean that the issue was fixed with the gas cap?

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 8:33 PM
  • hmac300

Have your battery checked these may be false codes due to a weak battery also clean th terminals. Batteries are normally only good for 4 yrs or so

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 10:29 PM
  • ciprimm23

Awesome, thanks for the help. The battery thing sounds like a huge possibility. Right before vacation last month I had it service and the dealership said that the battery voltage was low and needed to be replace before too long. I'll give it a shot.

Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 AT 10:37 PM
  • rivermikerat

Ciprimm, any word on this? Did changing the battery fix your problems?

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 2:40 AM
  • ciprimm23

I took the nitro up to the part store and had them run it for codes. It came up with several other codes related to electric issues and also fuel sensor issues. I changed the battery and the still showed for a day. However the next day everything was gone and back to normal. Thanks again for all the help.

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 2:47 AM
  • rivermikerat

Our pleasure. That's what we're here for. Tell your friends about us!

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 2:52 AM