SHIFTING

• Dale Voelz
  • 2007 Dodge Charger
  • automatic

2007 Dodge Charger 2.7L, during acceleration @ 40MPH the car "sputters and shakes". No engine service lights are on, so its not an vaccuum problem.

Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 1:47 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

Does it feel like the transmission is slipping, not shifting, or an engine miss?

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 4:37 AM
  • Dale Voelz

The transmission is shifting fine and not slipping. It seems like the results of a stuck EGR valve, but no lights are on. It only happens during gradual acceleration and only @ 40MPH. If I accelerate faster through it, it is almost unnoticeable. If I hold it @ 40MPH, its continuous and does feel like engine miss, if I back off a bit and accelerate through it, nothing.

Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 2:00 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Have you removed the EGR to see if there is a carbon issue?

Thursday, December 16th, 2010 AT 2:59 AM
  • Dale Voelz

Removed EGR, cleaned, re-installed, no difference.
It now seems like the "vibration and sputtering" is more evident at other speeds, but still only during gradual acceleration. I had a local shop drive it and they concluded that its a transmission issue that requires a total rebuild?

Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 6:37 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

I reread everything we discussed. It is hard to diagnose a problem when I'm not there. I have to say, however, if the trans was slipping, it should be more noticeable under a heavier load. I hate to say it, but I feel a second opinion is a good idea.

Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 AT 6:45 PM
  • Dale Voelz

I had a diagnostic run on the vehicle that verified that the transmission was producing the "shuddering". Three possible causes were faulty trans fluid, wrong trans fluid added, or a possible computer program error. I researched some Dodge service bulletins and found #2100208 that matched the symptoms. I brought it to a local Dodge dealer who performed a "flash" on the Control Module that has corrected the problem. Question; Could this have caused hidden transmission damage that might not show up until later? I also want to thank you for taking the time to offer your opinions! I really appreciate it.

Dale

Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 2:43 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Honestly, it should be fine. The updates seem to have taken care of the issues without new problems.

Let us know if you have questions in the future.

Thursday, January 6th, 2011 AT 1:15 PM