DAIHUTSI DIRION 2007 BRAKE PADS

• ronmontag
  • 2007 Daihatsu Sirion
  • automatic

How do I know when to replace the brake pads on a Daihutsu Sirion 2007? Is there a signal on the dashboad that indicates this, can I visually take a look, or can only a mechanic tell me this?

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 9:18 AM

• KHLow2008

There are no dash indicators but the brake pads would have a wear indicator which would produce a screeching noise when it comes into contact with the rotor when pads wear off.

Visual inspaection is the only way and it can be done easily. A torchlight would make inspection easier. Note the amount of pads left and if it seems rather thin, it is time to have it replaced.

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 12:37 PM
  • ronmontag

Thank you for the quick reply. Will I be hearing the schreeching sound constantly while driving, while breaking or only when I start up the car and start to drive? The situation right now is that I am hearing a schreeching sound (only sometimes) that lasts for 3-5 seconds when I start driving.

One more thing, when I check with the torchlight is it for the front pads or back pads

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 12:47 PM
  • KHLow2008

Symptoms indicates the front pads should be due for replacement.

When reversing slowly, the noise should screech louder than when moving forward. That is an indication the pad wear indicator is brushing against the rotor.

Noise can be intermittent and does not require the brakes to be applied. It might disappear momentarily when brakes are applied.

If the rear brakes are disc, checking with the torchlight applies for both front and rear.

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 1:01 PM
  • ronmontag

Thanks again for the quick reply. I'll go to the mechanic tommorrow, and he'll check it out. Too bad it is so exepnsive in Israel to replace the pads (160$-200$).

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 1:07 PM
  • KHLow2008

That should be the going rate almsot everywhere.

Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 2:22 PM