2007 Chrysler Town and Country PCM needs replacement?

PLANETMITCH
  • 2007 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
The mechanic has replaced the EGR for something like $600 because the check engine light was on and they said that was the error code and we continue to have a situation where the check engine light comes on. The mechanic checked the wiring and other things and has had the car for days. And today says that it's not the wiring but the PCM needs to be replaced to the tune of $900

He says that we can not do the replacement and the light will remain on - it isn't a "must do" replacement but then we won't know if there's some other warning. We can put it off if we want he says.

I hate to spend $900 if I don't have to. What do you think I should do? He's respected in our small town so I'm not worried he's trying to scam me, but I sure don't want to spend the money right now
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2015 AT 9:06 AM

What size engine does it have? What codes are coming up when the computer is scanned? As far as an EGR, 600 dollars seems crazy high.

Let me know those things and how the vehicle is actually running.
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2015 AT 10:46 AM
PLANETMITCH
My apologies. Just looked again at prior receipt. EGR was replaced under warranty - it was $600 for the fuel pump

The car is running normally as far as I can tell. We bought it a year ago used. It has had some trouble with starting in very cold weather with 1/4 of a tank when we park on a hill, but otherwise things are good.

Sorry, but off hand I don't have any clue what the engine size is nor did I ask what the exact error codes are.
Tuesday, March 3rd, 2015 AT 11:17 AM
Okay, that make sense. By any chance, do you have a receipt that may list the engine size and trouble codes that are found? Without that info, I'm really at a loss. The trouble code, which will be a letter P followed by four numbers (ie. P0420) will let me know what components are affected. With that and the engine size, I can determine what should be checked or if there is a common problem that I know of from experience.

If the vehicle is running good, chances are the code is going to be related to an emissions component. That could be a multitude of things. However, often times with these vehicles, the problems are related to either a poor ground, a broken wire, poor connection, and many times I have seen the wiring harnesses wear through causing a short. The truth of the matter is that the PCM is usually the last thing that is the actual problem. Could it be? Yes, but before I jump to that conclusion, I want to make sure all avenues are checked and reviewed.

As far as the starting below a 1/4 tank of fuel, that isn't too uncommon. The fuel pump location is basically centered in the tank. If you are on a steep enough incline, the pump can't reach enough of the fuel to provide the start-up pressure needed. My guess is when the vehicle was on a more level surface, the problem went away.

Check your invoice and let me know if anything it there. If you don't have one, see if the dealer you went to will provide that information to you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Wednesday, March 4th, 2015 AT 5:17 AM