I HAVE A 2007 CHEVY 1500HD 5.3L V-8 NON ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT ENGINE GIVING ME A #1 CYLINDER MISFIRE

• JEFFJ
  • 2007 Chevrolet Silverado

I HAVE A 2007 CHEVY 1500HD 5.3L V-8 NON ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT ENGINE GIVING ME A #1 CYLINDER MISFIRE. THE PROBLEM IS THE #1 INTAKE VALVE WHEN RUNNING STOPPED OPENING AND CLOSING. THE FUNNY THING IS THAT WHEN SPINNING ENGINE WITH STARTER THE VALVE OPENS AND CLOSES NORMALLY. I THOUGHT COLLAPSED LIFTER. I PULLED THE HEAD AND CHANGED ALL 8 LIFTERS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF ENGINE. PUT BACK TOGETHER AND IT RAN FINE FOR 10 MILES OR SO. THEN #1 CYLINDER MISFIRE RETURNED. THE INTAKE VALVE STOPPED OPENING AND CLOSING AGAIN. THE CAMSHAFT IS FINE. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR REPORTED OCCURANCES OF THIS PROBLEM? OH BY THE WAY. I USED ALL OEM CHEVY PARTS FROM DISTRIBUTOR.

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 1:43 PM

• Wrenchtech

You really should have this diagnosed by a professional. Valves don't just stop opening. It would have been cheaper if you did that before changing the lifters. There are dozens of things that could be causing your problem and it will require a series of tests to isolate the reason.

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 3:01 PM
  • JEFFJ

YES SIR WRENCH TECH I AGREE. HOWEVER I RUN A REPAIR SHOP. I HAVE SOME I PHONE VIDEO'S OF THE PROBLEM. I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE. THAT IS WHY I AM ASKING FOR HELP. I INSPECTED CAM: OIL PRESSURE GOOD. PUSH RODS GOOD. ROCKER ARMS AND SHAFT MOUNT GOOD. THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING. IS THERE A TEST YOU COULD INFORM ME OF?

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 3:26 PM
  • Wrenchtech

Start with compression and vacuum tests and see what they show.

Monday, October 17th, 2011 AT 5:58 PM
  • JEFFJ

MY FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH AFM! BAD SOLENOID COIL UNDER TOP COVER! PIP4568K

Wednesday, October 19th, 2011 AT 5:35 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

There is an old saying that goes like this: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Be sure that you KNOW what the problem is before you attempt to repair it. This is not offered to aggravate the sender, it is offered to put perspective on the possibility that you could learn something from your misstep on this occasion.

Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 4:44 PM