2007 Chevrolet Malibu break pads

LORENZAANSTEAD
  • 2007 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I just put new brake pads on my 2007 Chevy Malibu and I took it on a test run and now I hear and scrape sound when I go to hit the brakes to stop. Any suggestions on what may be causing that noise?
Monday, February 9th, 2015 AT 2:45 PM

TY ANDERSON
If you can have someone listen outside the car to find out where the noise is coming from. Then you can remove the tire and inspect the brake parts to find anything touching the rotor that shouldn't be. Check the brake pads, the metal shims between brake pad and bracket is where I would start.

Thanks for the question
Monday, February 9th, 2015 AT 7:03 PM
LORENZAANSTEAD
Well there 2 pieces of thin metal that came with the pads, I didn't put those on, and I have not had the rotors turned or replaced. The fluid is great. And I even pumped my break petal five times.
Monday, February 9th, 2015 AT 9:29 PM
LORENZAANSTEAD
Not to mention but the sound is comig from the right side and I just rembered that I forgot to put the break pad to help compress the caliper piston in to place with the c clamp or do you think I should have lubed the break pad?
Monday, February 9th, 2015 AT 9:37 PM
TY ANDERSON
I would inspect the right front or right rear which ever one you did brake pads on. Look closely at anything touching the rotor as there should be signs of scrapping on the parts.
Having the rotors turned or replaced before installing the brake pads is ideal for new pads. Because it provides a flat surface for the new flat brake pads to seat into. I would recommend turning or replacing (replacement is better because you wouldn't have to quality check the rotor resurfacing job you just paid for) the next time you replace brake pads.
Those thin piece of metal help to reduce noise whether on the back of the brake pads or on the end where they sit in the caliper bracket. Those could help.
Don't put any lube onto the brake pads of any kind. Modern brake pads and brake rotors are designed to have a clean (oil free) surface.
If you don't find anything contacting or out of place it may just be the quality of brake pads installed on the vehicle.
From your description it sound like something is touching the rotor or something is missing.
Monday, February 9th, 2015 AT 10:04 PM
LORENZAANSTEAD
Monday, February 9th, 2015 AT 10:13 PM
LORENZAANSTEAD
Also what does it mean if your breaks feel a little loose, when you press them and they make a metal noise rubbing?
Tuesday, February 10th, 2015 AT 4:14 AM
TY ANDERSON

I'm assuming your talking about pressing the brake pedal? If not let me know.
If you pump the brake pedal with the engine off several times the pedal should feel very stiff. This tell you your hydraulic brakes are in good condition.
Press and hold the brake pedal and start the engine. You should feel the brake pedal sink right after starting the engine. This indicates your brake booster is working.
If your pressing the brake pedal and get a rubbing noise have someone listen where the noise is coming from. If you have rear drum brakes then it is most likely the contact point where the drum brake shoes are resting on the backing plate. Lube these contact points and take care not to get any grease on the brake shoes.
Tuesday, February 10th, 2015 AT 6:46 PM