496 CODE ON 07 COBALT

2007 Chevrolet Colorado

jbdford

February, 28, 2011 AT 10:11 PM

I have a 2007 chevy cobalt. The car has 53000 miles on it. I run 89 fuel in it. I resently got two trouble codes in it. 446 and 496. I changed the canister vent solenoid. That fixed the 446 code. Now when I put gas in it I still get the 496 code and its hard to start after putting gas in it. The code says I have a high purge flow. Where do I go from here?

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

saturntech9

February, 28, 2011 AT 10:43 PM

Let's start with a simple test I posted a diagram of where your canister purge solenoid is it's number 6 in the diagram. Unhook the electrical connector and the vacuum line's to it. Then see if you can blow threw it.I have seen those solenoid's stick open and cause that code. Let me know what you find.

jbdford

February, 28, 2011 AT 10:53 PM

Ok I tried to blow through it and no air passed threw it. Can I run 12 volts to it and see if it acuates?

saturntech9

March, 1, 2011 AT 12:13 AM

Is that code p0496 reset right away?Because the code is for high flow so if the solenoid wasn't opening it wouldn't set a high flow code because it wouldn't be flowing any vacuum.

jbdford

March, 1, 2011 AT 10:24 PM

Yes it is a p0496 code.I was able to reset the code. However it came back on when I put gas in the car. And I was wrong yesterday. When you blow threw it air does pass all the way through the solenoid. Also I had to stop and put gas in it today and as usual after putting gas in it, it was hard to start, ran rough and rpms were all over the place.

saturntech9

March, 1, 2011 AT 10:58 PM

If you can blow thru that solenoid with the hoses off and connector unplugged then you have a bad solenoid. It's stuck open allowing engine vacuum to flow back to the gas tank all the time while the engine is running. That would explain the code and possible the problem's your having. Replace that solenoid clear the code's and see what happens. Let me know how it goes.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang