SHAKING AND RATTLING NOISE! PLEASE HELP

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

mkmetz88

July, 29, 2012 AT 2:35 PM

I have a 2007 chevy cobalt LT. I have taken it everywhere to get fixed and every time its something else so I get it fixed and its still not the right thing. Ok so the car I can just sit there and wiggle the stearing wheel and hear a nocking noise and can feel it in the steering column and left side. While im driving and hit a bump I feel and hear it rattle and the steering goes slightly loose. I will hit the brakes and the steering wheel will shake and I can feel it in the pedals and front left tire and steering column. The sound sounds like its coming from right above the pedals. I have it at the shop now and they think its the rack and pinion bushing. Any ideas? I have had the control arms replace and bushings, sway bar bushings and links replaced, all new shocks and struts, rotors and everything smoothed and cleaned, tie rods and wheel bearings.

saturntech9

July, 29, 2012 AT 3:12 PM

Has anyone checked the intermediate shaft yet?Thats what connects the steering column to the rack and pion. Its inside the car you can pun your hand on it while rocking the steering wheel.

mkmetz88

July, 29, 2012 AT 3:51 PM

Not sure, the shop its at now is looking at the rack and pinion today. Would that cause all these issues? If so would I need a new one or just adjust the current one?

saturntech9

July, 29, 2012 AT 4:00 PM

If the intermediate shaft was loose you would replace it. It could be the rack and pion I was giving other things to check as well. At the rate your going you will have a whole new front end soon. Sounds like there just throwing parts at it what ever is replaced I would make them give you in writing that this is what is wrong with it and will fix the problem your paying them to fix. Is this the same place you have had all this work done at?

mkmetz88

July, 29, 2012 AT 4:25 PM

No, I moved had the tie rods and wheel bearings done in NY, then I moved to TX and had the shocks and struts replaced and control arms/bushings and then moved to CA where my car is currently being fixed and they did the rotors sway bars links and bushings. The shop has already acknowledged that they made a mistake, they said we thought that was your issue so we replaced it but as it has not resolved anything they are not charging me for it, and are still currently looking but have had my car for almost 3 days.

saturntech9

July, 29, 2012 AT 4:32 PM

I would stick with that shop then they arent trying cheat you and were very professional about there mistake. Not having the car for 3 days sucks though. So if they think its the rack how does that take to check?Not long that I know of.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz