BMW X5 AC COMPRESSOR

• lhh1118
  • 2007 BMW X5
  • AWD
  • automatic

What is the cost to replace the air conditioning compressor for a 2007 BMW X5 4.8i?

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 5:03 PM

• JDL

The estimate is 1200--1600 dollars. Call different shops in your area, compare estimates. The cheapest place may not be the best? That's your decision.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 5:37 PM
  • lhh1118

Thanks for the response. Does your estimate include labor or is that an estimate for the parts alone?

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 5:41 PM
  • JDL

The estimate is both parts and labor.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 5:53 PM
  • lhh1118

I was quoted for $2300 (approx. $1300 alone for the compressor!). This seems remarkably expensive compared to your estimate? I understand that your response was only an estimate, but I can't imagine that the difference in cost would be that significant. What do you assess as being the reason for this disparity?

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 6:06 PM
  • JDL

I've seen a remanufactured compressor for around 500 bucks. I'm sure a new oem compressor is the best. In my area, okla, The estimate said 1361 dollars for parts, that includes compressor--refrigerant oil-- refrigerant. Labor-- 320 dollars.

Different shops charge different labot rates. At the moment, I don't know the cost of a brand new oem compressor?

The database I normally use for this site didn't even give an estimate on your vehicle. I had to look elsewhere.

Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

The site I use has the compressor @ $300, labor is what it is, where do you want to go from here mate?

Saturday, June 25th, 2011 AT 2:47 AM
  • lhh1118

The car is in the shop and getting fixed up. Apparently the compressor exploded (not sure why but it may have had something to do with some loose bolts). It turns out that they had to replace the compressor, receiver dryer element, expansion flush valve, and A/C belt. All said and done, the total was about 2500 with labor. It was not a good day for me.

Wednesday, June 29th, 2011 AT 7:29 PM
  • JDL

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and move on. After you write the check, it doesn't hurt too long. You have to do what you have to do and move on.

One of my vehicles is down at the moment, radiator decided to blow a gasket "poetic license". Had to order a new one, supposed to be here tomorrow. Not near as costly a problem as yours.

Wednesday, June 29th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM
  • lhh1118

It was a pretty big bullet to bite. Anyway, thanks for all of your help. It was good to have an idea of what to expect in talking with the mechanics at the shops. Keep up the great service!

Wednesday, June 29th, 2011 AT 8:07 PM
  • JDL

Yeah, a nice vehicle, expensive parts. Good luck

Wednesday, June 29th, 2011 AT 8:18 PM