THE CAR HAS DONE A LOT OF MILES WITH A BRAND NEW ENGINE. WILL THIS ENABLE THE CAR TO RUN FOR A GOOD FEW YEARS?

2006 Volvo XC70

trudi100

April, 20, 2012 AT 4:56 PM

I am looking at buying the above car and have seen a dealer who informs me that the car has brand new engine fitted and the fact it has done 220000 miles on it is irrelevant. He says the car should run for a good few years as has the new engine. It is a 2006 model. I am a little wary about this because of the mileage. Should I steer clear and look for something with less mileage or does a new engine automatically make the car as good as new with mileage being no problem? Thank you for your help.

fixitmr

April, 20, 2012 AT 5:01 PM

Engine may be good to go but transmission could need replacement /service. Any PROOF engine has been replaced?

trudi100

April, 20, 2012 AT 5:12 PM

I havent seen proof but I will ask for some first. He says the gearbox and the prop shaft have also been replaced. I will ask for proof of this as well. Just concerned that I may have to change the car in a years time because of mileage but if new engine fitted and the other bits aswell was wondering if it was possible it would last longer and the mileage wouldn't make any difference. Thank you.

fixitmr

April, 20, 2012 AT 10:05 PM

Whole thing sounds fishy. Unless car is a bargain buy I would stay away.

JIS001

April, 22, 2012 AT 7:27 AM

Agree, with that many miles let us assume the engine and trans have just been replaced. You still have suspension, if you have all wheel drive then there is the the rear diff and the angle drive? Control units start failing also and they run at least $1000 bucks to replace? Like fixitmr says, if its a bargain go for it otherwise stay away from it.

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Oil Life Reset Light Honda Civic 2006-2011
Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement
Air Filter Replacement
Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy