THE TACHOMETER STARTED TO MAKE A LOUD SQUEALING NOISE

2006 Toyota Tacoma

jackbak

July, 2, 2012 AT 9:44 PM

Today when I started my 2006 Toyota tacoma and when I started down the road the tachometer started to make a loud squealing noise. I stopped and it quit, when I got going again it started again at about 40mph and the tachometer was registering 1800 rpm.
I went to town and got some groceries and when I started my truck and got on the road the tachometer didn't make any noise but at 50mph the tachometer only registered 1500rpm which I know isn't right.
When stopped and in park the tach seems to work ok when I rev the motor. But when going down the road the tach doesn't work right. It doesn't make any noise anymore but it doesn't register the correct rpm.
Is there a sensor that can be changed or do I need to replace the tach in the dash?
Thanks in advance
Jack Baker

Jumpy Tach Needle

July, 5, 2012 AT 1:51 AM

It sounds like the tach is failing. You will have to replace the cluster for the repair.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic