The tachometer started to make a loud squealing noise

JACKBAK
  • 2006 TOYOTA TACOMA

Today when I started my 2006 Toyota tacoma and when I started down the road the tachometer started to make a loud squealing noise. I stopped and it quit, when I got going again it started again at about 40mph and the tachometer was registering 1800 rpm.
I went to town and got some groceries and when I started my truck and got on the road the tachometer didn't make any noise but at 50mph the tachometer only registered 1500rpm which I know isn't right.
When stopped and in park the tach seems to work ok when I rev the motor. But when going down the road the tach doesn't work right. It doesn't make any noise anymore but it doesn't register the correct rpm.
Is there a sensor that can be changed or do I need to replace the tach in the dash?
Thanks in advance
Jack Baker

Monday, July 2nd, 2012 AT 9:44 PM

ASEMASTER6371

It sounds like the tach is failing. You will have to replace the cluster for the repair.

Thursday, July 5th, 2012 AT 1:51 AM

Other Instrument Cluster Gauge Tachometer Replace/Remove Questions