HIGH IDLE WHEN COLD

2006 Pontiac Vibe

dkompara

I have a 2006 Vibe with a high wandering idle when cold. I was told to me here to install a new temperature sensor. This has pronounced the idle wandering slightly, and it still has high idle when cold. Next steps?

When cold, the idling is supposed to be higher as the cold start system is working. This is normal if the idling speed lowers after a minute of 2.

Cold idling speed would depend on how cold the coolant is and the colder it is, the higher the idling speed would be.

How high is the idling speed?
How long does it take to lower to normal idling speed?
Is coolant level in system correct?

dkompara

How high is the idling speed?
The high idle speed averages between 2300 to 2500 r.P.M.

About 5 - 7 minutes when the ambient temperature is below 25F. This is when the temperature guage starts to register. It then will slowly go down between 800-1000 r.P.M. Until fully warmed up. After this, it will sometimes vary between 900 - 800 r.P.M. It really never holds steady like it did in warm weather.

Is coolant level in system correct?
Yes sir, check that after I installed the new heat sensor.

dkompara

How high is the idling speed?

Is coolant level in system correct?

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. When I meant idling would drop after a minute or 2, it means it would start to decrease gradually and might take the 5 or 7 minutes you mentioned to get to operating temperature. What you described seems to indicate nothing wrong with the idling speed and the only problem could be the erratic idling.

If coolant temperature gauge reading is lower than what it normally registers, the thermostat could be remaining open most of the time resulting in a longer period of warming up time required.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars