2006 PONTIAC SOLSTICE COOLING SYSTEM IS BROKEN

• winterp
  • 2006 Pontiac Solstice

2006 soltice cooling system. The temp on the car will go to 205 with the cars heater turned to hot, if you turn the heater temp to cold the engine heat display go down to 195. Also the radiator fan never turns on when the temp hits 205 it will turn on i. The car was over heating to around 216 temp also had a water leak at the water pump so I replaced the water pump thinking this would cure the problem. It did not. The car now heats up to 206 instead of 212. So I installed a new thermistat, that made no differance. The fan motor will not turn on to cool the motor unless you turn the defroster on then the mtor temp will come down but the fan will not shut off untill I shut the car off. Also if I turn the heater temp to hot for the car heater the engine temp will go up if you turn it to cold it brings the engin temp down?

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 AT 5:31 PM

• fixitmr

So with heater BLOWING on high heat, engine temp rises?

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 AT 7:41 PM
  • winterp

When I turn the heater temp control to cool the motor temp seems to stay around 194 but if you turn the temp control to hot the motor temp will raise this is happening with the heater fan off

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 10:55 AM
  • Wrenchtech

That is normal. When you set to cool, the compressor and cooling fan engage full time. When the A/C is not on, the fan runs off a temp sensor which is programmed considerably higher than the engine thermostat.

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 12:22 PM
  • winterp

This is what could be happening. The hose to the heater core is befor the thermistat and returns on the back side of the thermistat when I turn the temp contol for the heater to hot it passes hot water around the thermistat and the engin temp reading goes up. On the thermistat itself there is no bleeder hole and it has a rubber seat so it is sealed when its closed. There has to be a passage through the thermistat housing for water to curculate. I have the old thermistat. I will drill a 8th inch hole in the wafer and put it in the car and look for a passage in the thermistat housing. What do you think? If there is a passage maybe its pluged

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 3:24 PM
  • fixitmr

I looked up a spec says fan comes on low speed at above 213 degrees.

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 3:48 PM
  • winterp

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 4:15 PM
  • winterp

Another thing it is doing is when the temp display reaches 205 the radiator fan does not come on to cool the engin I have to turn it on defrost to start the fan and turn the defrost right back off and the radiator fan will stay running. This cools the engin down with the fan running but the fan will not shut off untill I shut the car off. Then start the car and the fan stays off. I am not sure at what temp that the radiator fan should come but at 205 you would think it would come on. Here is another thing if I drive the car 10 miles and the motor is up to operating temp I park it shut the motor off. Five minutes later I can remove the radiator water resivor cap and there is no presure on cooling system. Could there be air in the system?

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 4:37 PM
  • fixitmr

Air in system should not effect pressure. When did you first notice these issues and was it a change from normal?

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 5:23 PM
  • winterp

This started last year befor I parked it for the winter, the car never used any water or got hot untill the water pump started leaking the rest is history. I bought the car with 16000 miles on it now has 50000 and never had a bit of problem with it till now

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 5:51 PM
  • fixitmr

You could do d pressure test of system?

Thursday, March 15th, 2012 AT 7:22 PM