FUEL SMELL

2006 Pontiac G6

sG6owner

July, 8, 2011 AT 5:03 PM

I have an 06 G6 GTP. Recently we started smelling gas after we drove the car. Now I can smell it inside the car while driving. The car is also having trouble starting, but if I give it a little "gas" it will crank up. Please help me figure out what's wrong.

saturntech9

July, 8, 2011 AT 5:08 PM

The first thing we need to do is figure out if the smell coming from the back of the car or the front of the car?

sG6owner

July, 8, 2011 AT 5:25 PM

It's coming from the back. We can smell it when you are standing behind the car.

sG6owner

July, 8, 2011 AT 5:26 PM

It's coming from the back. The smell is strong when we open the trunk.

saturntech9

July, 8, 2011 AT 5:34 PM

Alright now you will have to look under the rear of the car for leaking fuel or old fuel drip trails.

sG6owner

July, 8, 2011 AT 5:46 PM

We have looked and do not see any signs of leaking fuel.

saturntech9

July, 8, 2011 AT 5:49 PM

Have you looked while its running?If you cant find anything then you will have to drop the gas tank down it could be leaking around thr fuel pump seal or right off the fuel pump.

sG6owner

July, 8, 2011 AT 5:56 PM

No, have not looked while the car is running.

saturntech9

July, 8, 2011 AT 6:17 PM

I would look while its running under pressure just becareful with the leaking fuel.

sG6owner

July, 8, 2011 AT 6:31 PM

My husband did look the other day and did not see anything. There was only a 1/4 tank of gas in it (don't know if that matters or not). We did have the Evap Valve (I think that was the name of it) replaced recently.

saturntech9

July, 8, 2011 AT 10:59 PM

Was the valve by the gas tank or under the hood that was replaced?Also it could depend on the fuel tank level depending on if it leaks or not.I have had cars that would only leak at 3/4 of a tank or more because the fuel tank oring was leaking. It all really depends where and why its leaking.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang