I put in a starter and now the ground wire get hot

LADYTAZ
  • 2006 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER
Had a starter put in and one of the wires were left off. When put the other one on the ground wire for the battery gets hot
Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 10:57 PM

RIVERMIKERAT
That's because the wire that was left off isn't a ground wire. Hook it up correctly. To the starter solenoid. Big red wire to big lug on starter. Other wire either plugs in or secures with a nut to a terminal on the starter.
Monday, January 2nd, 2012 AT 11:02 PM
LADYTAZ
I need to know which wire goes where. Can you send me a diagram on which wire connects to what from battery to starter
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 12:13 AM
LADYTAZ
I have a power wire and a small ground wire and a 3rd thicker ground wire where I am not sure where it gets connected
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 12:20 AM
RIVERMIKERAT
Do you have a meter or test light? If so, check to see which of the wires gets powered when the key is moved to start. That goes on the starter solenoid. The terminal that the remote starter switch is connected to is the starter solenoid wire.
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 AT 12:40 AM
LADYTAZ
2006 mountaineer will not turn over relpaced spark plugs tried to dump still no turn over
Monday, January 16th, 2012 AT 9:06 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
By 'turn over' do you mean start, or do you mean the starter engaging and rotating the engine?

If the latter, have you had the starter checked? Have you had the battery tested?
Monday, January 16th, 2012 AT 9:21 PM
LADYTAZ
The starter is new and battery also when I was starting last it was starting up slow even after starter and batery was replaced
Monday, January 16th, 2012 AT 9:44 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Yes, but in your original post you mentioned that the starter had been hooked up incorrectly, creating an almost direct short for the battery. This could have damaged both starter and battery.

As you can see from the drawings I attached before, there is no ground wire going to the starter. The starter gets its ground by bolting to the engine and transmission.
Monday, January 16th, 2012 AT 10:47 PM
Ladytaz

MOST OF US HERE DON'T HAVE THE VEHICLES WE ANSWER TO

I ANSWER THE JEEP CJs A LOT, AND LUCKILY I CAN SEND REAL PICS OF MINE, TO THOSE OTHER CJ GUYS TO EXPLAIN STUFF BETTER

IF THE DIAGRAMS AIN'T HELPING

I'VE DONE THIS IN THE PAST FOR A PROBLEM I WAS WORKING ON MYSELF--I'M SURE IT WILL NOT BE THE LAST!

GO TO A USED CAR DEALER/ WALMART/ CONVENIENCE STORE/ ETC--WAIT FOR THE OWNER TO COME OUT, AND ASK IF THEY WILL BE KIND ENOUGH TO LET YOU SEE---OR TAKE A PIC OF WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG ON YOURS

SOUNDS AS IF YOU ARE BEGGING, BUT MOST PEOPLE UNDERSTAND AND DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM.I'VE EVEN HAD REAL GOOD SAMARITANS DRIVE IT TO MY HOUSE TO HELP ME!

ONCE YOU KNOW EVERYTHING IS HOOKED UP 100% CORRECTLY---THEN TELL US WHAT IT IS OR AIN'T DOING

IT MIGHT BE THAT WITH THE THINGS THAT WERE DONE WRONG, WIRES/ FUSES/ CONNECTIONS/ EVEN YOUR BRAND NEW PARTS MAY NOW BE DAMAGED!

WE WILL ATTEMPT TO HELP, TRIAL AND ERROR IS NOT THE ANSWER, THINGS MIGHT GET WORSE

Tuesday, January 17th, 2012 AT 1:43 AM