DO I NEED TO REPLACE MY TIMING BELT

2006 Kia Optima

dollyb

November, 4, 2011 AT 6:29 PM

Anyone knows if I have to replace a timing chain on my 06 Kia optima? One dealer saying yes and One saying no? And at almost six hundred to change, I'd like to know for sure if I need to? The dealer that is saying It needed changing at eighty thousand said that the car still has a no tolerance engine and if the chain breaks it will ruin the motor? Other dealer says the models with the chain does not have the same type of engine and if in fact the chain should break it would need no more than a new chain! But days the chain should last the life of the motor.

hmac300

November, 4, 2011 AT 7:51 PM

Mos tof these are not free spin motors, meaning that if the chain breaks it will ruin your engine yes. If yo have a belt then it shold definitely be changed. Our manual shows both. If yoursis 2.7L then it's a belt, if its '2.4l itis a belt as well

dollyb

November, 4, 2011 AT 8:06 PM

Its a 2.4 was told that its a chain. That kia switched to chains in 06. They ran my Von and it is in fact a chain.

November, 4, 2011 AT 8:41 PM

All these headaches with chains/belts think! Be smart replace it

lilshorty200651501

October, 3, 2012 AT 3:37 AM

How do I replace the timing chain on a 2006 kia omptima 2.4

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500