Car won't crank

KMCCOLLUM
  • 2006 HONDA ODYSSEY

Honda odyssey won't crank

Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 11:53 PM

MHPAUTOS

Do you have any electrical activity, ie, lights, wipers, radio, and if the lights are on and you crank on the key, do the lights go very dim? If the lights stay bright it sounds like the starter has gone bad.

+2
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 11:57 PM
KMCCOLLUM

Yes -- all electrical is working and when you try and crank it with the lights on, they do not go dim. Tried to get to the starter, but can't figure that out either; it's underneath and can't figure out how to get to it to test it. It doesn't even make a clicking sound when you try to crank it; zip, zilch, nada -- nothing.

+4
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 3:55 AM
MHPAUTOS

You will have to get under and test for power at the starter solenoid terminal, id power with key on crank, it will be the starter, if no power look at the transmission isolator switch, I do doubt that the ignition switch is faulty, but that can be checked as well.

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 4:15 AM
KMCCOLLUM

How do I get to the starter -- there's a panel or something covering it up.

Where is the transmission isolator switch?

+1
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 4:23 AM
MHPAUTOS

I have not done one myself, but if there is a splash shield under the engine bay this will unbolt and you should have good access to the starter, the isolator switch is normally on the transmission where the selector is, I will check this out to be sure.

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 4:31 AM
MHPAUTOS

Isolator or range switch is located on the end of the transmission cover, see pic.

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 4:44 AM
F4I_GUY

The positive battery terminal on odysseys like to corrode and actually split apart. I would ensure that both battery terminals are making clean contact with the battery posts. Even though it does sound like you have a starter issue, it doesn't hurt to start with the basics first.

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 7:32 PM
KMCCOLLUM

Also, is there an easy way to get to the starter or do you have to get to it from underneath?

The positive was loose and didn't want to tighten on the old battery. Does it have a "cover" on it that we can split open without hurting anything?

Also, there are 2 cables that come together on the positive side one goes to the starter and we don't know what the other one is?

Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 10:21 PM
HONDA TECH 1818
  • 549 POSTS

To replace the starter remove the battery and the metal tray.

Tuesday, April 5th, 2011 AT 5:59 AM
240GOLF
  • 2006 HONDA ODYSSEY
  • 65 MILES
  • MERGED

HONDA ODYSSEY 2006 STARTER CLICKS BUT DOES NOT TURN OVER ENGINE. VOLTAGE IS 12.8 UNTIL YOU TRY TO START THEN IT DROPS TO 10. I BELIEVE IT MIGHT BE A RELAY, BUT WHICH ONE

Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 AT 5:41 PM