2006 Honda Civic Hybrid Checking rear brake shoes

STEIN-KC
  • 2006 HONDA CIVIC HYBRID
At what point of wear are the rear brake shoes supposed to be replaced? I can't find information on a minimum shoe brake thickness. Can you help? Thanks
Saturday, September 6th, 2014 AT 11:44 AM

That number used to be listed by most manufacturers but it was irrelevant. No one constantly kept removing the drums to see how much lining was left, and we sure never tried to measure it. If you had.001" more than the minimum, you wouldn't leave them on the car. If you had.001" under the minimum, there could be a lot of miles left in them, depending on how you drive. Instead, we go now by percent of lining remaining, and even that is an estimate. The life expectancy in miles will be different for everyone, but the percent tells you how much life is left relative to how much you used up already, based on your driving style. If you have 25 percent left, that could spell disaster for someone who wears their brakes out in a few months. I checked one of mine yesterday, and there's over half left. That's on 25-year-old shoes that are original, and the van will turn 260,000 miles tomorrow. With 25 percent remaining, and they way I typically drive, and mostly on the highway, those linings will rust off the frames before they wear out.
Sunday, September 7th, 2014 AT 10:52 PM
HONDA TECH 1818
For 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid the rear shoes are recommend to replace at 1.5mm
On Honda civic hybrids I haven't need to replace any of them yet. Unless someone forgot to release the parking brake when they are driving. For your mileage the rear shoes should still have about 3.5mm. Brand new shoes are at 4mm
+1
Monday, February 2nd, 2015 AT 6:54 PM