I WAS HEARING A WHINING NOISE SOME MONTHS AGO ...

2006 Ford Taurus

Anonymous

October, 27, 2012 AT 10:16 PM

Hi, I was hearing a whining noise some months ago and found out that my serpentine belt was tearing on the edges, so after that was replaced, the noise stopped. But now its back again and the belt is still intact, when I accelerate faster and faster, it gets louder and sometimes it doesn't make a sound when I'm driving until later in the day. I also have to turn the ignition twice so the car starts because it acts like it doesn't want to crank up now.

saturntech9

October, 27, 2012 AT 10:39 PM

So if you turn the ac on does the noise get worse?

caronharts

October, 28, 2012 AT 9:32 PM

No the noise doesn't get worse. It seems to happen less when its colder outside. A relative told me today that she took my car to a mechanic yesterday who sprayed belt dressing on it and now the noise has stopped.

saturntech9

October, 29, 2012 AT 12:41 AM

Then you have a galzed belt or weak belt tenisor.

rivermikerat

October, 31, 2012 AT 11:24 PM

Also, with the engine off, look straight down and make sure all of the pulleys are perfectly aligned. Any misalignment can cause the belt to wear incorrectly. Find the longest distance between two pulleys on the belt. Twist the belt. If it goes more than 1/2 a turn, it's too loose. Pull on it. Does it come easily? Or does it require ample strength? Easy means a bad tensioner. When you twist the belt, look for cracks and shininess.

Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML