2006 Ford Ranger Check engine light

MRDIXON
  • 2006 FORD RANGER
My check engine light came on this morning as soon as I cranked it up. I took it to Advance Auto and they read the OBD code and it's PO171. Something about bank 1 running lean. That's all they would tell me. Is it safe to drive the truck until I find out what this is?
Sunday, November 2nd, 2014 AT 2:32 PM

SATURNTECH9
Yes it should be safe to drive I would be looking for a vacuum leak and checking the actual fuel pressure. But most likely its probably a vacuum leak.
+1
Sunday, November 2nd, 2014 AT 2:38 PM
MRDIXON
I found the vacuum leak. It's on what looks like a preformed hose at the back of the engine near the main vacuum line. I can't tell where this hose goes and I don't know the name of it to buy a new one. I've been trying to fine pictures of it and the best thing I can come up with is the EGR tube? There are two of these hose fittings one on top of the other but I can't figure out where it's going. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Monday, November 10th, 2014 AT 4:00 PM
MRDIXON
Do you have a picture of that area of the engine? It's at the back of the plastic intake manifold between the intake and the firewall.
Monday, November 10th, 2014 AT 4:05 PM
SATURNTECH9
I don't have pictures of the engine in that area but parts dot com has factory parts diagrams that will show all the parts of the engine.
Tuesday, November 11th, 2014 AT 9:53 PM
SATURNTECH9
What your calling the egr tube does it go to vacuum? The tube you suspect is it leaking vacuum?
Tuesday, November 11th, 2014 AT 10:05 PM