I HAVE AN 06 REG FOCUS 1

2006 Ford Focus

Alan Thomson

I have an 06 reg focus 1.8 diesel. When started this morning, it was making a whining noise between 900 & 1300 rpm coming from the alternator area. I risked driving to work but the red battery alert comes up intermittemtly on the rev counter. I suspect either the alternator or the drive. The belt seems OK & power steering is fine. Engine Performance is OK.

Can you pl help with a diagnosis?

Thanks, Alan

Symptoms indicates the alternator is failing, most likely the carbons are running out or contaminated. Get the charging rate and alternator checked/tested and repair/replace as necessary.

Alan Thomson

January, 4, 2011 AT 8:56 AM

Thanks - obviously an alternator problem, but there are no "carbons" in an alternator. You are thinking of a dynamo.

I had hoped for a more detailed answer. When the engine is not running, I can rotate the alternator by hand - is that normal?

All alternators have carbon brushes, they are at times referred to as generators. Dynamos and magnetos do not use carbons.

The answer and recommendations for the problem had been given to you so what more do you wish to know?

The alternator is driven by the drive belts and if the drive belt is renmoved, it should be able to turn freely with minimal resistance.

Alan Thomson

I think you need to go back to school. Alternators most certainly do not have brushes which is why they were such an advance on dynamos when first introduced approx 50 yrs ago.

The alternator turns by hand with the drive belt in place, which is why I thought it unusual.

You are not much of an expert, you have told me nothing new and most of what you have said is wrong. Not much help.

Give me my money back - its a scam.

Sorry for the delay. Seems the notification process goofed.

Let me say this again.

Alternators have carbon brushes. See the atached diagram. The link would show you all you need to know about the automotive alternators.

Where did you learn that alternators do not have carbons? The person who tought you that does not knwpo what an automotive alternator is.

I would let the admin know about your request for an refund.

Have a nice day.

Sorry I missed this out.

For some newer models, the alternator pulley has an over-running clutch and that would allow the alternator to be turned by hand, but only in one direction.

2CarPros Mike

January, 16, 2011 AT 5:34 AM

We have refunded your donation. We are sorry we were not able to help you this time.

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Window Switch Replacement and Test