TICKING F150

2006 Ford F-150

sea3go

October, 7, 2013 AT 8:24 AM

Would like help diagnosing a ticking noise in my 5.4L Triton engine. Sound is loudest when first started and seems to almost go away when engine is warm. Has a lack of power when under load. Any suggestions appreciated.

hmac300

October, 7, 2013 AT 8:38 AM

Have it checked for a lifter problem or piston slap.

October, 7, 2013 AT 8:43 PM

COULD BE A DIRTY TAPPET, NOT WORKING CORRECTLY (SEALING WHEN IT SHOULD)....EZist WAY TO TRY TO FIX THIS ISSUE IS:

NEXT OIL CHANGE SUBSTITUTE 1 QT OF MARVEL MYSTERY OIL, FOR A NORMAL QT OF OIL YOU WOULD NORMALLY PUT IN (NOT ADD A QT, AND BE OVERFILLED BY A QT!). WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING, "MMO", MAY CLEAN IT UP, "MMO" CAN BE LEFT IN, UNTIL NEXT CHANGE...OR YOU CAN RUN A NEW BATCH....READ THE BOTTLE!

IF YOU GET IT TO QUIET DOWN, YOU MIGHT DO WHAT I DO, I USE OIL STABILIZER EVERY OIL CHANGE IN MY 1977 JEEP CJ 5. I DRIVE IT ALMOST EVERY DAY, AND I REBUILT THE ENGINE IN '96, IT IS STILL GOING STRONG. (I DID NOT USE THE STABILIZER UNTIL MY 4TH OIL CHANGE, I WANTED TO INSURE MY CYLINDERS WERE BROKE IN WELL AT ABOUT 12,000 MILES).....I HAVE NOT HAD ANY TAPPET ISSUES WITH THIS ENGINE, BUT I HAVE USED THE "MMO" ON PREVIOUS CJs I HAD

I HAVE'NT HAD TO USE IT IN MY PRESENT CJ 5....I HAVE HAD 5 OTHER CJ 5s PRIOR TO THIS ONE, THE MMO, HELPED WITH SEVERAL OF THEM. I HAD ONE THAT WOULD NOT STOP, I USED A LITTLE MORE DRASTIC MEASURE WITH IT, BY INSTALLING A PUSH ROD A FEW THOUSANDTHS LONGER THAN THE ONE THAT WAS PUSHING ON THE ONE THAT WAS DOING THE "TAPPING". THAT SORTA JUST RE-POSITIONED THE PLUNGER INSIDE THE TAPPET AND IT BEGAN "SEALING" AS IT SHOULD, AND THE TAPPING CEASED.

IT ONLY TAKES A LITTLE STUCK ON BURNT LOOKING OIL ON THE THIN STEEL DISCS TO KEEP A TAPPET FROM SEALING.....I'D TRY THE MARVEL MYSTERY OIL 1ST, BEFORE GOING ANY DEEPER

IN THIS LINK YOU WILL SEE PICS OF THE TAPPETS DISASSEMBLED....AND A LOT MORE, COURTESY OF THE QUESTION ASKER

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/jeep-wrangler-2002-jeep-wrangler-removing-lifters

IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE THAT THE ONLY WAY TO FIX THIS ISSUE MIGHT BE TO REPLACE THE LIFTER (TAPPET), IF THIS INDEED IS WHAT IS MAKING YOUR RACKET.

OVER 7000 ANSWERS PROVIDED

Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Bronco
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML