Is my Fan Clutch Engaging

DIANA THOMAS
  • 2006 FORD EXPLORER

How can I diagnose a fan clutch problem? Car makes a roaring noise when driving.

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 7:04 PM

My hearing is no good. Usually with everything turned off, if the fan will spin freely using your finger, there is something wrong. The test may not be conclusive, don't know what else to tell you at the moment?

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 7:12 PM

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING YOUR FINGERS TO DO THIS--I THINK A ROLLED UP NEWSPAPER, TO HOLD IT FROM TURNING, WOULD PRODUCE THE SAME RESULTS (IF IT WERE TO SEIZE, YOU WOULD LOSE FINGERS!!!)

BE CAREFUL!...ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES, LOSE THE NECKLACE, AND CUT THAT HIPPIE HAIR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YSwY4cShWE

HOPE THIS HELPS

MIGHT LOOK AT THE OTHER SIMILAR VIDEOS TOO!

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 7:33 PM
DIANA THOMAS

Wow sounds kind of dangerous! Thanks for the tips. I will be careful!

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 7:37 PM

With everything turned off, how can a belt driven fan be dangerous? I've done this all life, I'm 64. I don't recommend holding anything with the engine running. Just my opinion. With the engine off, the clutch fan will not spin freely with a flick of the finger.

The video may show something different, I don't know? Everybody is welcome to post their opinion.

Diana, safety is your responsibility.

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 7:49 PM
DIANA THOMAS

My first inclenation is to test with car off then if undetectable I may try the newspaper trick as seen in the video. Thanks again for your assistance.

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 7:56 PM

ONE OTHER THING YOU CAN TEST.(NOTHING TO DO WITH NORMAL THERMAL OPERATION), THIS IS A MECHANICAL WEAR TEST

IS TO SEE IF IT TURNS TRUE ON IT'S SHAFT OR ONLY REMAINS PERPENDICULAR TO IT'S AXIS

THIS IS DONE WITH OUT THE ENGINE RUNNING. NOT RUNNING!

WITH YOUR HANDS, TRY TO "WOBBLE" THE FAN (NOT TURN IT).

AT THE JUNCTION OF THE SHAFT AND HUB, THERE SHOULD BE NO PLAY, LEFT, RIGHT, UP OR DOWN. ONLY "TRUE TURNING", WHEN THE FAN IS ROTATED.

IF THERE IS PLAY, YOU SHOULD REPLACE THE FAN CLUTCH.A 2ND OPINION, FROM THE EXPERIENCED AUTO PARTS STORE EMPLOYEE MAY CONFIRM THIS.

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 8:03 PM
DIANA THOMAS

OK guys thanks for the advice. I tried all suggestions. Fan is tight, no play. Appears to engage as it should. Now if that isn't the problem then what else would make it sound like a jet engine when I take off?

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 8:10 PM

JDL,

IN THE VIDEO I FOUND,

THE FELLER HOLDS THE FAN STILL WITH HIS FINGERS, THEN CAR IS CRANKED, THEN FAN IS RELEASED UPON IDLING

(I'VE DONE THIS MYSELF, SCARED TO USE MY "FANGERS"!)

ALWAYS WAS WORRIED THE CLUTCH MIGHT LOCK. EVEN IF IT WERE FREE TO BEGIN WITH!

I'VE SEEN PEOPLE STICK STUFF IN, SLOWLY, TO STOP IT WHILE IT WAS RUNNING

BUT THE "CAKE TAKER" WAS THE SCREWDRIVER HANDLE EASED IN---ACCIDENTALLY YANKED FROM THE FELLER'S HANDS. MASSIVE CHEWING INSTANTLY OCCURRED--LOTS OF SHRAPNEL TO THE ARM AND TORSO. NOT TO MENTION NEEDING A NEW RADIATOR AND FAN!

. YES, THINK THINGS OUT REALLY GOOD, BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING. NOT SO GOOD!

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 8:21 PM

FAN DAMAGED?

BELT ROUTED WRONG, TURNING BACKWARDS. PROBABLY WOULD OVERHEAT, AS THE WATER PUMP MIGHT NOT CIRCULATE

HAD THE HOOD UP. HAVE SOMEONE ELSE "UP" ENGINE RPM---LISTEN FOR ANOTHER ACCESSORY TO MAKE THE SOUND?

YA'LLS TURN!

Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 8:28 PM
KHLOW2008

If the fan is roaring, the clutch is engaged.
When engine is running, feel the wind being pulled by the fan. If it is strong, it is good.

Is the noise that of wind or some bearing?
When clutch fan disengages, is the roaring noise level similar or much lower?

+1
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 10:01 PM
DIANA THOMAS

It seems that with this hot weather when I turn the car on it sounds pretty normal you can hear the fan turning and feel the air circulating but when I go to drive away it seems to make a roaring noise like a turbo engine on a jet plane. This will continue until I reach a certain gear or speed it and it seems to be labored in the process of moving thru the gears kind of like being stuck in a lower gear I guess. Will also occur after sitting at a stop light. Am I just being paranoid? No one else seems to think there is a problem except to me it doesn't normally sound this way. Could this be a transmission problem? It doesn't***** or miss or anything when driving.

+1
Sunday, August 7th, 2011 AT 11:53 PM

KINDA DOES SOUND LIKE TRANNY, NOW THAT YOU EXPLAINED IT THAT WAY.

CHECKED THE FLUID LEVEL?

IF YOU HAVE A TACHOMETER IN YOU GAUGES, OBSERVE IT AS THE ENGINE ACCELERATES, DOES YOUR SPEEDOMETER ADVANCE AS IT ADVANCES, OR DOES THE TACH SWEEP UP FAST, AND SPEEDOMETER STAYS STILL, OR BARELY ADVANCES (I'M NOT SAYIN' THEY SHOULD BE EQUAL)

I GUESS WHAT I'M SAYIN' IS, DOES THE TACH RUN OFF AND LEAVE THE SPEEDOMETER....EVEN WHEN GEARS CHANGE.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE WHAT IT SHOULD DO, OBSERVE SOMEONE ELSE'S VEHICLE

I WENT TO YOU TUBE...LOOKED AT A BUNCH!....SETTLED FOR THIS ONE

THE VERY BEGINNING OF THIS VIDEO, LOOKS TO BE NORMAL PROGRESSION OF SPEEDO AND TACH......NOT DRIVING WILD!

HOWEVER, IT PROGRESSES INTO "SHOWING OUT", IN A FORD FOCUS WITH BELLS AND WHISTLES (AS MOST OF THE VIDEOS I SAW WERE DOING).....THEY ARE REVVING WELL BEYOND WHAT YOUR VEHICLE CAN SAFELY DO!

HOWEVER, EVEN WHEN THEY "GET ON IT", THE NEEDLES PROGRESS "EVENLY" BUT AT THEIR OWN RATE.......TACH DOES NOT JUST SUDDENLY RUN AWAY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKtGVdiavD0&feature=related

CONFUSE YOU EVEN MORE?

IF NOT, AND YOURS DOES RUN OFF---NEED TO GET THAT TRANNY CHECKED OUT, BEFORE YOU ARE WALKING.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, August 8th, 2011 AT 3:03 AM