IS MY FAN CLUTCH ENGAGING

2006 Ford Explorer

Diana Thomas

August, 7, 2011 AT 7:04 PM

How can I diagnose a fan clutch problem? Car makes a roaring noise when driving.

August, 7, 2011 AT 7:12 PM

My hearing is no good. Usually with everything turned off, if the fan will spin freely using your finger, there is something wrong. The test may not be conclusive, don't know what else to tell you at the moment?

August, 7, 2011 AT 7:33 PM

I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING YOUR FINGERS TO DO THIS--I THINK A ROLLED UP NEWSPAPER, TO HOLD IT FROM TURNING, WOULD PRODUCE THE SAME RESULTS (IF IT WERE TO SEIZE, YOU WOULD LOSE FINGERS!!!)

BE CAREFUL!...ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES, LOSE THE NECKLACE, AND CUT THAT HIPPIE HAIR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YSwY4cShWE

HOPE THIS HELPS

MIGHT LOOK AT THE OTHER SIMILAR VIDEOS TOO!

Diana Thomas

August, 7, 2011 AT 7:37 PM

Wow sounds kind of dangerous! Thanks for the tips. I will be careful!

August, 7, 2011 AT 7:49 PM

With everything turned off, how can a belt driven fan be dangerous? I've done this all life, I'm 64. I don't recommend holding anything with the engine running. Just my opinion. With the engine off, the clutch fan will not spin freely with a flick of the finger.

The video may show something different, I don't know? Everybody is welcome to post their opinion.

Diana, safety is your responsibility.

Diana Thomas

August, 7, 2011 AT 7:56 PM

My first inclenation is to test with car off then if undetectable I may try the newspaper trick as seen in the video. Thanks again for your assistance.

August, 7, 2011 AT 8:03 PM

ONE OTHER THING YOU CAN TEST.(NOTHING TO DO WITH NORMAL THERMAL OPERATION), THIS IS A MECHANICAL WEAR TEST

IS TO SEE IF IT TURNS TRUE ON IT'S SHAFT OR ONLY REMAINS PERPENDICULAR TO IT'S AXIS

THIS IS DONE WITH OUT THE ENGINE RUNNING. NOT RUNNING!

WITH YOUR HANDS, TRY TO "WOBBLE" THE FAN (NOT TURN IT).

AT THE JUNCTION OF THE SHAFT AND HUB, THERE SHOULD BE NO PLAY, LEFT, RIGHT, UP OR DOWN. ONLY "TRUE TURNING", WHEN THE FAN IS ROTATED.

IF THERE IS PLAY, YOU SHOULD REPLACE THE FAN CLUTCH.A 2ND OPINION, FROM THE EXPERIENCED AUTO PARTS STORE EMPLOYEE MAY CONFIRM THIS.

Diana Thomas

August, 7, 2011 AT 8:10 PM

OK guys thanks for the advice. I tried all suggestions. Fan is tight, no play. Appears to engage as it should. Now if that isn't the problem then what else would make it sound like a jet engine when I take off?

August, 7, 2011 AT 8:21 PM

JDL,

IN THE VIDEO I FOUND,

THE FELLER HOLDS THE FAN STILL WITH HIS FINGERS, THEN CAR IS CRANKED, THEN FAN IS RELEASED UPON IDLING

(I'VE DONE THIS MYSELF, SCARED TO USE MY "FANGERS"!)

ALWAYS WAS WORRIED THE CLUTCH MIGHT LOCK. EVEN IF IT WERE FREE TO BEGIN WITH!

I'VE SEEN PEOPLE STICK STUFF IN, SLOWLY, TO STOP IT WHILE IT WAS RUNNING

BUT THE "CAKE TAKER" WAS THE SCREWDRIVER HANDLE EASED IN---ACCIDENTALLY YANKED FROM THE FELLER'S HANDS. MASSIVE CHEWING INSTANTLY OCCURRED--LOTS OF SHRAPNEL TO THE ARM AND TORSO. NOT TO MENTION NEEDING A NEW RADIATOR AND FAN!

. YES, THINK THINGS OUT REALLY GOOD, BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING. NOT SO GOOD!

August, 7, 2011 AT 8:28 PM

FAN DAMAGED?

BELT ROUTED WRONG, TURNING BACKWARDS. PROBABLY WOULD OVERHEAT, AS THE WATER PUMP MIGHT NOT CIRCULATE

HAD THE HOOD UP. HAVE SOMEONE ELSE "UP" ENGINE RPM---LISTEN FOR ANOTHER ACCESSORY TO MAKE THE SOUND?

YA'LLS TURN!

August, 7, 2011 AT 10:01 PM

If the fan is roaring, the clutch is engaged.
When engine is running, feel the wind being pulled by the fan. If it is strong, it is good.

Is the noise that of wind or some bearing?
When clutch fan disengages, is the roaring noise level similar or much lower?

Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chrysler PT
Radiator Cooling Fan Replacement Chevrolet