POWER STEERING PROBLEMS?

2006 Dodge Ram

TZweng

April, 23, 2012 AT 2:19 PM

I am having power steering problems. I replaced my pump about a month ago, and had no issues for about two weeks. My wife was driving my son to school and she heard a loud noise and she was unable to make her next turn. I took the truck, put it on jacks and turned the wheels to the left and right to get the air out, and it improved. Since then I have started driving and I am hearing a loud noise while driving and it is silent at nuetral. I have no sign of leaks anywhere, I replaced the serpentine belt, and my rack and pinion seems to still be functioning because my wheel still rotates back to center after completing a turn. Could this be a result of a faulty new pump or is there something else triggering this?

hmac300

April, 23, 2012 AT 3:16 PM

The noise is probably something else, we can't hear it so can't give a diagnosis. Have apro listen to it

TZweng

April, 23, 2012 AT 3:44 PM

I forgot to mention in my original post athat I have basically no power assist, even when engine rpms are high.

hmac300

April, 23, 2012 AT 3:59 PM

Well you could have the seals inside the rack bad, leaking internally causing no power steering

Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe