MAGNUM 2.5 HO

2006 Dodge 600

Marty Brown

December, 11, 2010 AT 2:14 PM

Hello, have used your services before and am very satisfied. I have a severe lifter noise on my 2006 2.5 High Output Magnum. It has 75,000 miles on it. What should I do. I use Lucus in my oil but it doesn't help much. Thank you, Marty

Tappet Noise

Tappet Noise

fixitmr

December, 13, 2010 AT 1:52 AM

Internet advice says change the offending lifters. Tons of dodge owners have the "ticK"!

mhpautos

December, 14, 2010 AT 1:57 AM

If you have had no success with flushing and oil changes, it will be a faulty valve with in the lifter, it is good practice to replace all the lifters as a set, it will cost a bit more, but when done you will not have to worry about doing the work again if another starts to fail later on.

Marty Brown

December, 16, 2010 AT 2:38 PM

Dear mark, now that was good advice.

December, 21, 2010 AT 7:16 AM

Be also advised when lifter problem occurs the camshaft has to be miked to check the lobes/ condition, normally both are replaced at the same time-they're partners in crime just like the distributor cap and rotor-

Marty Brown

December, 21, 2010 AT 3:28 PM

Thank you for your answer to my problem. Any idea on the basic cost and should I use a dealer or outside mechanic?

fixitmr

December, 24, 2010 AT 10:15 PM

This is freaky! Chiltons online does not show 2.5 but only 2.7 motor for this car? This is public access chiltons though, what can I say?
Anyway, this job is EASY! Remove valve cover where tick is apparent, loosen cam bearing caps(ends first, work your way to middle)over offending lifter when located, move rocker arm and remove lifter. Since the job is fairly easy I see no reason to replace them all? But maybe that's since i'm a do it yourselfer? You could replace all lifters on that cam and save the used good ones for any future problem? I would have no problem usuing an outside mechanic as you call them for this job. And as a final note, the problem may not turn out to be the lifter itself? No way to tell until you inspect everything.

Marty Brown

December, 25, 2010 AT 6:02 AM

Once again thank you for the help. At 70,000 miles (out of warranty) I took the car to a dodge dealer. For $1,100 they fixed the loud lifter and said it shattered the rocker. The motor was still noisy and they said it would go away well, not all together. That's why I am leery of a dealer.

Still noisy -could be a camshaft problem, did they replaced the camshaft

Camshaft Angle Sensor Replacement P0015
Engine Cylinder Compression Test - All Cars