If I change the water pump will it mess up the timing?

WENDY_1369
  • 2006 CHRYSLER SEBRING
It keeps over heating and I changed the thermostat and still nothing? I need to change the water pump.
Thursday, November 17th, 2011 AT 1:02 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Here are the instructions on how to change out the water pump with the timing belt instructions as well since the timing belt needs to be undone or replaced when doing the job. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
Thursday, November 17th, 2011 AT 1:06 AM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2005 CHRYSLER SEBRING
My car just started running hot and not wanting to crank in one day, I took it to a mechanic who told me it was the water pump. I had the water pump, timing belt and the thermostat replaced. The car worked fine for one day without running hot. The next day its starting running hot again and not wanting to start up. What else could be causing my car to run hot?
Friday, May 29th, 2020 AT 10:43 AM (Merged)
The water pump is the least likely suspect but at the mileage you listed it's time for a new timing belt to avoid serious engine damage, and it is good practice and customary to replace the water pump at the same time. The place to start is by checking that the radiator fan is turning on when the temperature gets hot. The fan is not needed at highway speed so if that is the problem it will not overheat at high speeds.

A leaking cylinder head gasket is another possibility. If that is suspected, your mechanic can do a chemical test at the radiator to verify that.
DWIGHT01
  • 2004 CHRYSLER SEBRING
Engine Cooling problem
2004 Chrysler Sebring 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

do u have to reset the timing when u change the water pump
LAVINCO
No. But be careful not to move the timing belt out of it's position when replacing the water pump. Use strong office clips and pinchers for the lower sproket to keep it in place while replacing the pump.

Youtube some videos on tips on how to replace a timing belt just for reference on how to stabalize it.

Also, you may have a hell of a time removing the surpentine pully bolt. Youtube that too. Use a strong breaker bar while cranking the engine. Works like a charm.
JBZIP64J
  • 2004 CHRYSLER SEBRING
Hello.I will be replacing the water pump in my wife's 2004 Chrysler Sebring 2.7L V6 DOHC.I was just wanting to know if anyone could tell me what all needs to be removed on the external part of the engine before I actually start the removal of the timing chain cover. Thank for any help.
MADMIKE1735
If your looking at this engine, and asking us what needs to be removed prior to taking the timing cover off, are you sure you want to be taking on this job? Its not the easiest waterpump to change.
+2
DWAYNE BARBER
  • 2004 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I bought a car that had the water pump replaced. They also installed a new thermostat. It still gets hot. I am thinking the radiator cap might be the wrong one or the fans are not running like they should. Cannot seem to figure it out. Could the thermostats be faulty?
After car is hot check radiator with fans disconnected for cold spots if none there then radiator is good. I doubt it is the cap, probably more like a head gasket.
RICK5040
  • 2004 CHRYSLER SEBRING
When changing my water pump, timing chain and oil pump, what other stuff should I change so I don't have too open it up again in the near future.
To insure the quality of the repair, and so we too don't have to do the job again, we always recommend replacing anything that keeps tension on timing belts and chains. On some engines that include slides that are bolted on. Almost all engines use some type of idler pulley with a bearing in the middle, but most importantly it's hydraulic tensioners that should be replaced. They usually have to be compressed in a vice, then a pin holds them compressed until they're installed. Many of those use engine oil pressure to keep tension on timing belts.
RICK5040
Thanks you
+1
DOCHEAT
  • 2003 CHRYSLER SEBRING
First, The car heater stopped working. I took it to the shop, I asked if it could be thermostat. They flushed the system. Now the heater works and it is leaking water. Can you tell me how much it would cost to replace the water pump. I already bought the pump and thermostat. I just want a ball park estimate.
Friday, May 29th, 2020 AT 10:44 AM (Merged)
2CEXPT
Labor rate per hr ranges from $70.00-$130.00 and varies with location.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_stat_4.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_water_pump_16.jpg

-1
EDMAN28
  • 2003 CHRYSLER SEBRING
I Changed water pump on my car then tried to start and heard a pop. The wire had come off intake manifold and manifold was smoking for a few seconds. Could it be out of time or is it something else?
JIS001
You will need to remove the cover and recheck your timing marks. If the chain jumped then there is a possibility you may have bent some valves? You would need to do a compression check once you verify you have the timing set up right.
+1
EDMAN28
Never done a compression check do I need a special tool. How would I do that? The more detail the better. Thanks
RENEE
Hello EDMAN28,

Here is a link to an article form this site that features written step by step instructions, pictures and a video explaining how to conduct a compression test.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression

If you need further instructions or have another question please come back to the site, we are here to help.

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.com.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin

+1
EPEPIN2
  • 2002 CHRYSLER SEBRING
Where is the weep hole for water pump on a 02 sebring 2.7L eng.
2CEXPT
The weep hole is on the water pump here is a guide and a diagrams below to help show you what you are in for when changing it out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/water-pump-replacement

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
-1

Sponsored links