Why is my battery light staying on?

KINGEARNEST
  • 2006 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
On my 06 trailblazer never have any starting troubles even when key is out it is slightly illuminated. Battery light stays lightly illuminated at all times. Started vehicle took off negative it didn't die. Shows good voltage in vehicle when running. Never has any sluggish starting problems. Someone says it could be key switch but when you take key out everything goes off like radio the windows wont roll down so key switch is fine. Someone says it is a battery heat sensor. Any ideas.
Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 AT 1:04 AM

SATURNTECH9
First of all never remove the battery cable while its running or with the key on in a vechile with a computer. You can damage the computer. Have you had the battery alternator tested?If not you need to do that first. Also have you made sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?
+1
Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 AT 1:11 AM
KINGEARNEST
Thanks for the fast response. No I havent had the alternator tested yet. Does it have to come off to be tested or can advanced auto test it while on the vehicle? Yeah I cleaned the post connecting to the battery. No I dont have a meter but I will buy one what do you recommend. Can the alternator cause that light to be on even though its charging. I remember the older cars as long as you could take the terminal off while running that would show you the alternator was charging. All help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks David
+1
Thursday, March 22nd, 2012 AT 10:18 PM
SATURNTECH9
As far as a meter goes just get one that has a 20 volt dc setting and a ohms setting. You can have the alternator tested in the vechile which I would do also have the battery tested. Lets see how those two test and and go from there.
+1
Friday, March 23rd, 2012 AT 4:18 AM
KINGEARNEST
All checked out good at advanced auto, battery and alternator. They had me to start vehicle rev it up and turn on ac and high bems everything was good. I am thinking about putting black tape over the light. Seems to have no effect on vehicle so any more suggestions.
+1
Friday, March 23rd, 2012 AT 10:26 PM
SATURNTECH9
It says if its charging like its supposed to then use a scan tool and see if the voltage on the scan tool reads 10-15 volts if its does then replace the IPC. The instrument panel control module.
+1
Friday, March 23rd, 2012 AT 11:10 PM
KINGEARNEST
Is the IPC something I can change or is it a dealer install. Can this be purchased at advanced or is it a dealer item. Thanks
+3
Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 12:12 AM
SATURNTECH9
Most of the ipcs are part of the clusters and require programing from the dealer.
+2
Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 12:54 AM
KINGEARNEST
Would you think the speedometer cluster is going bad. Drspeedometer shows they can fix it for $189 what do you suggest?
+2
Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 AT 1:24 AM
SATURNTECH9
Did you use a scantool to see what the ecm says its charging at?
+2
Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 AT 1:27 AM
KINGEARNEST
Just replaced the speedometer cluster and the problem is solved the light is off. Real easy trade out watching the video on youtube will explain it all on the removal. Takes 20-30minutes to remove. You will need to go to dealer to get the milage corrected. Thanks for the help.
+3
Friday, April 27th, 2012 AT 11:39 PM
SATURNTECH9
Your welcome glad to hear you got it fixed.
+2
Saturday, April 28th, 2012 AT 2:56 AM