WHAT IS THE KNOCK IN THE ENGINE? HOW CAN I FIX IT? HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST?

2006 Chevrolet Silverado

jake1briody

September, 19, 2012 AT 7:06 PM

"last week I was driving in some rain. I drove through some water on the side of the street and it was a lot deeper than I thought, I was about 9"-10" deep. I went through it going about 35-40 mph. My truck stalled in the middle of the road. It would sputter for a second when I tried to restart it and then would die. I was able to keep it started and get it home. But now starts up OK but has a bad knock in the motor.

hmac300

September, 19, 2012 AT 8:01 PM

You may have got water in oil pan have you checked for an overfull condition? Water doesn not lubricate bearings well. However have apro look at it to give a better opinion. You should never drive through standing water that deep.

jake1briody

September, 19, 2012 AT 8:28 PM

No I havnt checked the oilpan. If there is no water in the pan, could it be a rod or a piston problem? The knock sounds real ugly.

hmac300

September, 19, 2012 AT 8:45 PM

It cold be anything form a bearing on the alternator mains usualy don't go out like that a rod bearing noise would sound real deep in the engine an dwould knock on acceleration have a pro give you an opinion where he can hear it, we can't on the puter here. Besides he could probably see something making the noise if it's not internal. When was the last time you checked your oil? This month at all?

jake1briody

September, 19, 2012 AT 8:58 PM

10-4. Had my oil changed maybe three weeks ago. Everything has been fine up until the water. I just got my obd scanner in the mail just now. Im gonna run it and can I give you codes that come up?

hmac300

September, 19, 2012 AT 10:43 PM

If your check engine light is not on then you won't get any codes. If hte knock is bad you should really have apro look atit for an opinion.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Rear
Oil Change and Filter Replacement - Ford F150
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz